Part 48

SHURI

Two months later.

I never exactly set a date to go back home. Wanda's mother died, and Peter begun to get better, but I kept working beside Tony to finesse my remedies for Peter.
And once we'd done that, we began working on other things. Ever since my father died, I've only ever worked alone. But I find it so easy to work beside Tony.
He's so eager to learn about all the Wakandan technology and I love to explain it to him. I believe that he would be content without the 'ironman' name, and living simply as a mechanic. Anything so long as he could use his head.
'How's Peter?' I ask, as the last two interns head out of the building, leaving me and Tony alone.
'One of his better days actually. He remembered where he was, and all of that. I don't want to get my hopes up.' He says, clearing up.
'That's good.' I say, 'any...has he had any more outbursts?'
'Not since the last one.' He says, quietly. I'm about to keep talking but he cuts me off, 'do you ever see yourself fighting? Like your brother?'
'You mean like the whole avenger stuff?' I clarify. He looks at me like he has an ulterior motive.
'I haven't thought about it.' I say slowly, 'why'd you ask?'
'Without Peter there's a noticeable rise in crime around here. He used to go out for just an hour or two a day, and the knowledge alone that he was out there prevented so much crime.' Tony says, sitting in his chair and looking at me.
'I don't see where you're going with this.' I say, leaning against the table and staring back.
'I have hundreds of suits. Very few people have access to them. Some don't even know they have access to them. There's Pepper, Peter, Rhodey, Happy, and a boy I know called Harley. That's it. I only give access to people I fully trust.' He speaks slowly and carefully.
'What does this have to do with me?' I ask, even though I'm fairly sure where he's going.
'I trust you. You're smart and you're sensible. I can't say the same for everyone else who has access to the suits.'
'You're not...are you giving me access to your suits?' I ask, unsure how to react.
'You already have access. Had it for a couple of months. As soon as you helped me help Peter. This is me asking you if you want to use them.' He says, 'not as a permanent thing if you don't want, just to keep a track of things. I could use some help.'
'You want me...to help you...fight people?' I ask, very slowly.
'If you'd like to.' He says shrugging, watching me carefully, 'it's your choice. I understand if you don't want to, I-'
'Don't want to? Are you joking? I was made for this.' I say, 'you'd actually trust me with your suit?'
'You're one of the good ones, kid.' He says, smiling. He takes a box off of his desk and chucks it to me. I catch it and open it, 'put them on your wrists and double tap the blue bit.'
I do as he says and the suit starts forming around me. In less than thirty seconds I'm fully suited up. I look up at Tony and he stands there smiling.
'Suits you.' He says, 'Jarvis? Take her for a test run.' As soon as he says that the lights flash up on my screen, words and numbers scatter about.
'Good evening, Shuri.' A voice comes out in the head piece, 'Would you like to start the training course?'