Part 13

SHURI

At a loose end, Tony sorted out accommodation for me for as long as I need it. He asked if I'd consider staying for a while longer - to help figure out exactly what happened to Peter.
Nothing was drawing me back home, and I enjoyed being in the city. So I figured I'd stay.
Whilst he couldn't exactly grant me full access to the Stark building, he gave me Happy's number and told me to call him whenever I wanted to go up and he'd arrange it. He said I could use it anytime I wanted, any work I wanted to do.
I head up in the lift - two days after Peter's surgery. Tony said he's staying back with his aunt now, so the space is empty.
I start working on updates for the Wakanda security system. It's become my biggest project and take sup the majority of my time.
I forget where I am and when I hear footsteps approaching I, on instinct, raise a gun and prepare to shoot.
'Hey, woah, hold on - it's me, it's Peter.' He says, taking of the Spider-Man mask, 'I didn't mean to make you jump, I was just looking for Mr.Stark. For Tony.'
'Sorry. I'm so sorry.' I say, lowering my weapon, 'I thought you were still recovering?'
'Perks of being Spider-Man. Once I start recovering I don't stop. Sort of on overdrive.' He says, 'you're Shuri, right?'
'I am.' I say.
'Mr.Stark said you were the one who saved my life, basically.' He says.
'I just did my job.' I say.
'Well thanks. For that. I owe you one.' He says, awkwardly looking around the room.
'I'll remember that.' I say.
'Look, um, I did actually want to speak to you. No one really knows...about this.' He says, holding up his mask, 'and I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell anyone.'
'Of course.' I say, 'it's forgotten.'
'Thanks.' He says, smiling.
'Actually, before I forget everything. Could I look at your suit? I've seen it in action on YouTube and I can't understand how you can stick to walls.' I say, 'I've tried everything to mimic it.'
'Hold on a sec,' He says, stepping to one side. I hear him getting out of his suit and throwing a top on, 'every time I come here Mr.Stark wants to add something new. I've taken to just keeping a change of clothes here.'
He throws me the suit and I catch it. I start to inspect it.
'But I, it's actually not the suit.' He says, I turn to him and he effortlessly jumps to the wall, hands gripping slightly as he crouched against it.
'Oh my...' I watch as he goes onto the ceiling, hanging upside down, 'that's incredible. Does the blood not rush to your head? Are you as stable there as on the ground? When did this happen?'
'A couple years ago. Spider bite. I used to wear glasses, but I didn't need them anymore. Then I couldn't move my hand from a bar on the subway - I had to go to the end of the line and back before I could move.'
I laugh as he gently lowers himself to the floor, 'it was a learning curve.' He says, 'Mr.Stark obviously found out about me, recruited me in that fight your brother was in. After that Mr.Stark made suits for me, specially adapted and everything.'
'Do you have the spider still?' I ask, curious.
'It's long gone.' He says, 'maybe for the better.'
'What do you mean?' I ask.
'Don't get me wrong. I love my life. I love being Spider-Man. But I love being...Peter too. It's kind of taken over my life. Like the other day - I could have died. I don't know what my Aunt would have done. I don't want to think about it.'
'I guess so.' I say, 'I never thought about it.' He shrugs and sits on a table.
'Go ahead. Inspect the suit. I want to see what you'd change.' He says.
'How about I make a whole new one?' I say, 'I've got some time on my hands.'
'Absolutely. I'm so helping. Let's go.' He says, jumping up and working alongside me.