Chapter 22

Third POV

A couple pedestrians saw the accident that happened and ran towards the vehicle in hopes of saving those inside. Some of the stronger men attempted to pull the women out while others pulled out their phones and sent several calls to the police in hopes that the ambulance would make it in time. After 10 dreadful minutes passed you could hear loud blaring sirens approaching the scenes ready to asses and help the injured.

Hopping out of the vehicles the paramedics approached the scene ready to help both Tahj and Tatiyana. In the meantime, a police officer approached the first lady he saw saw hoping she had some intel on what could have possibly happened. Getting an assessment of the situation helps determine what he needs to do, what to tell the hospital, and the probability of whether this will lead to a fatality or not. "Excuse me ma'am, is it possible you saw what happened and could help me out?"

"Well yes, it all happened a bit quickly if I do say so myself. It wasn't a hit or run but seemed to be careless driving. One minute the vehicle was speeding like a bat out of hell and the next it swerved off the road and collided with the pole. All I can assume is that the driver lost control I just hope whoever is in the car is okay." With that he scribbled down the notes and made his way over to his vehicle following the ambulances to the hospital.

Rushing the stretchers into the hospital the nurses rushed over to the girls wheeling them into separate stations ready to work on them not before Malik's mom caught a glimpse of the scene. Horror stricken and saddened she walked over to the nurses to see if she could get any information on what may have happened. "I'm sorry ma'am I know you're terribly busy but is there anyway you could tell me what happened? I'm their mother and I originally came because my son was in an accident but to see these two here in this state. Lord my heart can't take it."

Empathy painted across the nurses face as she began to explain what happened, what their vitals were looking like, and what her next plan of action was for both victims. Explaining all of that was the easy part. Letting the mother know that both the ladies and the fetus was in critical condition was the hard part. Drowning in tears the only words to escape her lips were "Please save them."

***

Malik's POV

Days turned into weeks, and weeks turned into a month. It had been a month since my accident and since Tahj and Tatiyana were brought to the hospital. It took me two weeks to recover from my accident and luckily enough I did. According to the doctors I should have been either paralyzed or dead luckily enough I was neither. Now I'm not saying I didn't walk out with any bumps or bruises because I'm certainly going to have to endure intensive physical therapy but if that's the price I have to pay then I'm completely willing to cash in. I rolled my wheelchair next to her bed and just held her hand sending her positive energy and prayers that she'll wake up out of her coma.

I remember the first time I came into her room, the state she was in completely devastated me. All the tubes attached to her, cuts and marks on her face but more importantly her flat stomach. My heart was wrenched. When I asked the doctor what happened he explained the situation to me and further informed me that they did everything they possibly could to save the baby and that they were successful but there were some complications that come with him being a preemie.

That was two weeks ago, her baby is thriving unfortunately she's not making the same strides. After visiting her room I made my way to the NICU to see baby boy. If I thought my attachment to him before was big well it's something special now. It's been a whole month and he still doesn't have a name but that's because I thought that's something she should do though I remember us settling on a name a while back. But who knows maybe things happened and I surely wasn't going to over step my boundaries, not in such a sensitive situation.

"Hey papa bear" one of the nurses said as she approached me, "I have some wonderful news. Your son has made great improvements in the last couple of weeks and the doctors have all agreed he's ready to be discharged." A small smile crept on my face because little man was coming home, now only if Tahj would wake up and do the same. I thanked the nurse for keeping me updated and made my way back to Tahj's room to share the good news. I swear by the time I'm out of this chair my arms are going to be strong as all hell. I entered her room and saw that my mom and her parents were surrounding her bed in a prayer circle. I kept quiet as to not interrupt them until they were done. Once hearing that final "Amen" I cleared my throat and shared with them the good news that their grandson would be able to be discharged. They smiled and rejoiced but you could see in the back of their mind they were still saddened at the situation at hand.

"Malik," Tahj's mother started, "I want to thank you for being the type of man you've been to our daughter and grandson. We honestly couldn't be any more appreciative and we want you both to know that you both are more than welcomed to come visit him any time you please." With Tahj being unresponsive it was decided that her parents take him and care for him in the time being and no matter how much I wanted to protest it just didn't make sense especially since they were biologically his family. I showed them my appreciation and made my way towards the door as the doctor walked in with a sullen look on his face. I stopped in my tracks and spun the chair around giving him my undivided attention.

"Um hello, I really wish I was coming by to share better news but sadly that's not the case. Based on Tahj's vitals her condition isn't getting any better and she's not showing any signs of improving soon. It's completely up to you guys what you want to do but my professional opinion would be to pull the plug. Take all the time you need because I know how difficult this can be. When you're ready to just tell the nurse and she'll page me." With that he left out and the tears I qas fighting spilled over and it was evident I wasn't the only one hurting. I couldn't stay in this room anymore and just wanted to go see little man.

Before I could leave her mother choked over her words. "Malik, I know you were waiting for Tahj to name the baby but since it....since it seems like that won't be happening can you just-" Sensing how hard it was for her to get the words out I just nodded my head and headed to the NICU. I rolled next to him and just stroked his finger. "Hey Papa Bear paperwork for little man is all ready."

"Jourdan, his name is Jourdan. And um the birth certificate. How do I go about signing that and all the necessary paperwork since it seems like she won't make it." I felt her hand rub my back in an attempt to console me while I cried. "I'll get everything set up for you. Once you sign all paperwork you're both free to go." The tears kept rolling. This is not how I imagined things turning out. I lost her before I could even properly love her.

"Hey lil man, seems like we're going home."