015: Signs of Affection

Day 8, Yunho finally, finally, opened his eyes.

Jaejoong was so relieved and shocked that the thought of informing anyone about his husband waking up did not cross his mind at all. At the very least, he should've called for Assistant Zhao and the doctors, shouldn't he? But how could he? He wasn't even capable of moving and making any sound at the moment, only stupidly and desperately staring at his husband's darkened eyes fearing it was all just an illusion. It happened way too many times after all, how was he supposed to know better?

"Wife?" It was only after Yunho's sight settled on him, that his eyes slowly lose its malice but why would Jaejoong care? He knew the cruelty was not directed towards him. Most importantly, his husband had truly returned to him. It was not a dream.

Jaejoong barely managed to nod, eyes wet with fresh tears, when the door opened.

"Welcome back, Yunho."

Assistant Zhao and the two doctors entered, their countenance as calm and relaxed as always. Jaejoong knew better than to question how they realized Yunho had awakened and could come so fast. Even though they'd been staying in the house, even a child would find their timing too suspicious. Not to mention Yunho's strange predicament... Nobody attempted to explain yet nobody seemed to exert much effort in covering up. Isn't it strange? Jaejoong had a feeling it's because Yunho trusted him so his men could not consider him as a threat but as he's practically a stranger to them, they're still wary of him. Perhaps.

Nevertheless, Jaejoong kept his silence. He won't foolishly overstep his boundaries. Growing up with a natural mindset to not cause his family any unnecessary fear and worry, Jaejoong had always been good at keeping peace.

Thankfully Jaejoong, contrary to his frail aura, had been born extremely perceptive and so very adaptable that his close friends always lamented how they can't grasp his way of thinking and that his mind cannot be compared to a simple teenager. Others may already fall victims to the temptation but not someone like Jaejoong. Would he risk Yunho'd favour just to satiate his curiosity? Obviously, never. He's not only indebted towards Yunho's generosity, but also terribly in love with him and they're even bonded through marriage. This much caution is necessary, there's simply no need to test the water at all.

As the doctors got closer to the bed, Jaejoong dutifully stood up to give them more space. It was only then that he noticed his husband's hand had been encased in his from the start. Blushing, Jaejoong almost blurt out an apology but managed to rein the words in, they are husband and wife after all, and only regretfully let go of Yunho's warm hand.

Jaejoong did not miss Yunho's small smile. He smiled back.

"No side effect, as expected."

Jaejoong sighed in happiness, eyes moist all over again. Yunho looked strangely healthy, that he doubted his sight. Only by listening to confirmation from others made it more believable and real.

"Any discomfort?"

"Hardly." Yunho then sat straight with ease.

No matter how Jaejoong looked at him, his husband did not look like someone who'd spent days in unconsciousness. What discomfort? His whole self exuded strength and power. It's more like he'd just awakened from a short nap and that viciousness in his eyes were like he's still on a battlefield. Jaejoong secretly glimpsed at his own body. Compared to Yunho, it's Jaejoong who seemed like he almost died.

"How long?"

"173 hours."

There was a strange glint in Yunho's eyes. "Zhao. How's the sweeping?"

"Done. We left our good friends for your discretion."

"Hm." Yunho looked at Jaejoong from top to bottom once, then frowned. "I'll see them later."

Assistant Zhao also took a look at Jaejoong before nodding. "Understood. I'll send the doctors back."

"Ask someone to send some food."

Jaejoong's eyes widened in shame. What kind of failure of a wife is he? His husband even had to request for food himself!

"Send some dessert as well." Yunho added and Jaejoong's embarrassment doubled. No doubt the added request was for his sake.

"Alright. We'll excuse ourselves first."

Yunho nodded, not even looking at the three. "Come here." He called and Jaejoong blindly moved closer. "You lost weight."

Jaejoong don't really think so. He'd lost his appetite since Yunho got injured but he never eat much anyway. He doubted he could lose weight in just a week. It's just that his complexion was rather bad. Always staying by Yunho's side, he was always anxiously watching over his husband and so he kept falling asleep at odd hours. There's also that occasional headaches and chest pain.

"I am sorry for worrying you."

Jaejoong shook his head, idly playing with Yunho's fingers. It seemed like he'd developed a habit of reaching for Yunho's hands at any given opportunity now. "Hus- husband's not wr- wr- wrong! I- I'm glad you- you're al- right."

"... because of my work, sometimes I'll be gone and sometimes, I'll get hurt. The next time, should I keep it from you?"

Jaejoong frowned. "I- I'd rather- Husband- come ba- back. If- if you c- can. Le- let me see you- you is bet- better."

Even though ignorance is bliss, Jaejoong doesn't want to take risk. If Yunho stayed away, what would Jaejoong do if one day his husband could no longer return? What if he was wasted away somewhere only because he doesn't want to worry Jaejoong?

Asking his husband to quit now would be impossible. If not, given how many scars Jaejoong had seen on his body, he should've long abandoned his military career. It's not like he can't support himself. He is a rich heir after all. Yet, Yunho persisted. So, what else can Jaejoong do other than support him? Although he can't stand the sight of Yunho injured, at the very least, Jaejoong could still touch him and remind himself Yunho's still alive. And... Even if his husband's dying, he should still die in front of Jaejoong's own eyes!

"I understand." Yunho then gazed at him, studying his expression carefully. "Don't cry anymore." Slowly, he used his finger to trace Jaejoong's cheeks, as if he could still see the tears Jaejoong shed all this time. "Sorry. This matter was a little unexpected, otherwise, there's no reason I'll be harmed in our nation. But for me it is good, I had wanted to clean the dirt for a long time, now's a good chance. But I regret making you worry. I never thought a man could cry so much."

Jaejoong blushed. "I- I- I- I-"

Yunho pressed on. "Promise me, you will never cry again. Not even for me."

It's impossible! Jaejoong sadly shook his head.

"... Then, promise me you will only cry when I can help wipe your tears."

Jaejoong hesitated. It's still quite hard to fulfill that kind of promise.

"Wife... I am your husband. Even if we married without love, I am still your husband. Even though I am the one at fault this time, but, it still pained me."

"B- but-" Jaejoong sighed. "Al- alright."

"Good." Yunho praised after a long time, and used his other hand to pat Jaejoong's head. "I married well."

Jaejoong realized too late that the last sentence was perhaps meant to be a joke when he'd already nodded with a proud smile. His husband couldn't contain his laughter and chuckled. Soon Jaejoong was laughing as well.