013: Introduction to Danger

When Jaejoong was still a child, they said his love for reading was so great that he did not feel the need to speak. That's also the main reason why his parents first thought Jaejoong's stuttering was not a permanent condition, thinking his speech will eventually change to normal as he grow up. Of course, that wasn't the case but to everyone's surprise, he did not really lose the Kims' affection. Other than officially losing his heir status, which is to be expected considering he definitely can't survive in the business world with his gentle personality and obvious flaw, everything else remained the same. The Kims' allowed him everything as if making amends for that status withdrawal.

Of course, when Jaejoong found out that he wasn't really related to the Kims', things slowly made sense to him.

The status of Kims' heir was never his.

He's sure in the future, Father and Mother would think of a way to ensure their real first born be the well-deserved successor. As he became older, he even thought that perhaps the Kims would even allow Jaejoong be the face of their business but it's Jihoon who is the true decision maker. It doesn't matter. The Kims is an old-fashioned, family-oriented type of family. The fact that they kept his identity a secret all this time meant that he is considered family, blood related or not. His adoption is believed to be the reason the Kims' couple broke free from their childless curse after all. Therefore, though their willingness to hand him the Kims company can be questionable but Jaejoong had no doubt they won't abandon him as long as he doesn't betray the family. In other words, it's impossible. That's why when they found out he stutters, which should be a valid reason enough to privately expose his origin and quietly send him away, they did not. For this fact alone, Jaejoong's loyalty to the Kims' can't be shaken. He never wanted power or wealth. He's contented enough with the comfortable and loving life the Kims' granted him. His gratitude and devotion became the driving force for him to better himself and repay the Kims, a truth that couldn't be more contrary to some people's shallow opinion who thought he was resentful. Those people believed he was unaware of his abilities. They were even under the impression that the only reason he wanted to pursue management or design because was he's looking for an opportunity to take back his position.

Thankfully, Jaejoong no longer need to bother himself with those people. As he's now married into the Jungs, nobody would think he'll be cheap enough to still desire the Kims' wealth... (unless they're really that stupid?) What's more, since his husband already saved the Kims' business and would continue to support them in the future, Jaejoong no longer have to worry about repaying them.

It's a win-win situation for all.

All that Jaejoong wanted to do now is give full focus on his new life with his husband. He won't dare to hope or expect his husband to fall in love with him but Jaejoong would at least try to forge close friendship with him for a harmonious marriage. They did agree on that from the very beginning.

Hence, instead of resting like his husband suggested, Jaejoong took out his laptop and opened his digital library to continue reading books related to that purpose. Currently, he's in the middle of reading about the principles as well as tribulations in marriage. It had been hours ever since he first started but Jaejoong, too engrossed in his reading, was not aware of the passing of time at all.

Ultimately, for those who really know him, Jaejoong's known to be an indiscriminate reader. To compensate for his lack of societal skills and bonds, he chose to immerse himself in books. He enjoys everything from autobiography, mystery, adventure, horror, romance, and even psychology. He especially loves to focus on both human relationship and their mind in anything he read, to feel and reason for each character's thoughts and actions, to sympathize and empathize with the chosen character, to learn and celebrate their life as his. That's why, no matter how small and pitiful his world seemed to be in other people's eyes, Jaejoong was always contented and rarely disgruntled.

Sometimes, his detached way of carrying himself even make people close to him feel like he viewed others around him as if they're just fictional characters and he, a reader. They can't touch him unless he wanted them to, yet, he refused to involve himself even though he's able to.

The only time he truly lost control of his feelings and hope was when the Kims' family was suddenly betrayed and faced problems one after another. And tonight, Jaejoong would once again be reminded that no matter how impartial he can be, when it comes to new territories and unforeseen development, even the most indifferent reader like him can be thrown out of loop.

This time, his helplessness and fear started when his bedroom door was suddenly opened and Jaejoong involuntarily drew a sharp gasp as his eyes fell on the figure supported by Assistant Zhao.

His husband's shirt was red and dripping.

(Red is Jaejoong's favourite colour.)

Jaejoong felt bile rising up his throat and he staggered to stand up as Assistant Zhao and a few others brought his barely conscious husband inside.

(Red used to be Jaejoong's favourite colour.)