Chapter 11- Just Nicked It

At lunch, I decided to sit by the transfers. I don’t know why.

I took my tray and sat by Christina. She introduced me to her friends, Al, another Candor transfer, and Will, an Erudite transfer. We talked for a little bit, and then it was time to go. The transfers came to our gym because we were doing knife throwing.

Four went over the basic stance and swing for knife throwing. He told them to watch us if we had any questions. I quickly ran to the table and grabbed a few knives. I immediately flung them at the target, hitting dead center every time.

To my left stood a transfer that Christina said was Peter. To my right was Uriah. Peter was repeatedly barely hitting the target. Christina said that Peter was mean so I decided to have a little fun.

“Hey Peter, you remember what a target is?” I taunt him.

His ears turn red and he throws at the target, getting closer to the center, but not with my deadly accuracy. I turn with my back facing the target, close my eyes, and breathe. I fling the knife. When I turn around, I see that it head dead center…again. I hear a snort and Uriah is holding in a laugh. Peter’s jaw dropped to the floor. Then I hear Eric say,

“Everybody stop.”

We all clear the targets and stand to a side. Al stands in front of a target. Eric tells him not to flinch as Four throws knives at him. Al looks petrified as he stands at  the target. I couldn’t take it anymore.

“Stop.”

“Anyone can stand in front of a target; it’s bullying. And I do believe that is a sign of cowardice.” I say to Eric.

“Then it will be easy for you to take his place.” Eric spits back. I walk over and stand in front of the target. Four looks at me. I close my eyes. I hear a thud of the knife hitting the board.

“Eyes open!” Four yells.

I open my eyes and focus on Four. He exhales and throws. It sticks right above my head. Four takes another one. He spins it in his hands. Exhaling he throws. Then I feel I searing pain on the tip of my ear. He knicked my ear! I hear a gasp from the crowd.

“I would love to see if you are as brave as this girl here, but we don’t have time. Go to dinner.” Eric yells.

I linger a little longer. When the room empties I yell at Four, “What was that!? You cut me!!” He just looks at his hands. “Ugh! What is wrong with you?” I yell. I take the knife that was in my hand and slam it into the table, point down and storm out of the gym.

Uri meets me in the hallway with a bandage and a wet cloth. “Cake?” he asks. I smile and nod and we made our way to the cafeteria.

-   -   -   -   -  

Uri is the sweetest brother. ♡