Chapter 7- Divergence?

When I opened my eyes, I was back in the school cafeteria. Instead of the groups of tables, there were two baskets. One contained cheese. The other contained a gun. An ominous voice said,

“Choose.”

“Why? What would I need them for?” I asked. I could see a reason for both. The voice only persisted, “Choose.”

“Just tell me!” I yell back.

“Fine.” The voice said. Once she said that I heard a snarl. I turned around and saw a big dog. It was aggressively coming at me. When I turned to grab the gun, it was gone. And so was the cheese. The dog began running at me. An image flashed through my mind. In my textbook, it said eye contact is a sign of aggression to animals. I went against all the logic I had and laid down in front of the oncoming dog. When I looked up, it had transformed into a sweet puppy.

“You’re not that scary, are you?” I said, admiring the puppy.

When I looked up, there was a girl standing there. She looked like me, but she was about 7. The dog also saw the girl. It transformed back into the snarling beast it was when I first saw it. It began to run after the girl. I did the only thing I could think of. I sacrificed myself for the girl. Suddenly everything changed. I was on a bus. A man asked me if I knew the boy on the front of the newspaper.

The headline said something about a murderer. The picture was of Uriah. “Do you know him?” the man asked. I lied, “No, never seen him.”

“Liar.” The man responded. “If you knew him, you could save me!” he pleaded. I set my mouth in a hard line. “Well, I don’t.”

Suddenly, I was back in the aptitude test room. The Stiff looked distressed. She clicked rapidly on the screen. “Follow me please.” She gestured towards the door.

“What happened? What were my results?” I ask. She responded, “Dauntless.” I said, “Oh” and began to leave but she said, “And Erudite, an-and Abnegation. Your results, they were…inconclusive.”

“What?” I asked. “How is that even possible?”

“It’s very rare. You can manipulate simulations. They call this Divergence. You cannot tell anyone; not your friends, not even your family. It is very dangerous. Please be careful.” The Stiff responded. With that she opened the door and gestured me out.

On the train ride back, I picked an empty cart. I had to think about what I heard. I had never heard about a Divergent person before. How could I have gotten more than one result? How is it dangerous? Am I the only one?

I heard someone jump onto the train, but I didn’t even bother getting up from my position on the floor. The person sat down beside me and tapped my shoulder.

“Hey.” It was Uriah. I looked up. “Hey.” I responded. “What’s the matter? I say you leave early from school.” I just shook my head. We weren’t supposed to share our results anyway.

Uriah looked at his toes. “Have you ever heard of Divergent before, Tris?” he asked casually. “You are, too?” I ask.

He looks at me, and then looks away. “I got two results on my aptitude test today. The lady was really worried. She said most Divergent end up dead in Candor. She said that they manipulate simulations. She told me that I couldn’t tell anyone.”

I didn’t know what to do. “I got three results. Dauntless, Erudite, and Abnegation. I guess we have to listen. We can’t tell anyone. Not even Mom or Zeke.” I told him. We look away, at the city speeding by.

“Uri?” I ask.

“Yeah, Tris?” he responds.

“Are you gonna transfer?” I ask staring at my toes.

“I don’t think so. I’m gonna stay and stir up all kinds of trouble in Dauntless. What about you?” he asks.

“Me too. I was born for Dauntless.”

Suddenly, I turn and I hug Uriah. I sob slightly. “I don’t want to end up at the bottom of the chasm or on the train tracks like Amar.” I sob. He hugs me back. “We can do this, Tris. I could never let that happen.”

As I sat there hugging Uri, I realized we could do this. We can do this together.

-------

Tri and Uri are Divergent!  *gasps* :D