Chapter 6- Dare and Tattoos

Dare is a Dauntless tradition. It starts with someone daring someone else to do something. That person takes a drink, does the dare, and dares someone else. A woman named Lauren starts.

By the end of the night everyone is tired, drunk, and laughing. Except Uri and I. We haven’t even passed initiation; we can’t just go out and get drunk! My dare was to scale a large structure at the Navy Pier.  I finished it easily and challenged Zeke to get a tattoo. He chose the word “dauntless” to be put on his arm. Uri and I walked home. I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

I woke up late. Dressing slowly, I headed to the cafeteria. The blueberry muffins looked appetizing so I grabbed one and slid into a seat next to Lynn. She looked at me and said, “What’s with you?”

“Just a long night.” I reply.

“Hey, you wanna get a tattoo?” Marlene asks.

“Why?” Uriah asks.

“I want to get one, and I don’t want to go alone.” She replies with a shrug.

“Okay, let’s go.” I say, dragging myself up from the chair.

We arrive at the tattoo parlor and go to Tori. “What can I help you with?” she asks with a smile. Marlene grabs a sketch from her pocket and shows it to Tori. It is an artistic version of the Dauntless flames. I follow Tori and Marlene to the back. Mar lays on a table. She shows Tori where she wants it on her back. Tori nods and begins.

We walk out of the tattoo parlor with fresh tattoos. Uriah got a design around his wrist. Lynn got Dauntless flames around her upper arm. Marlene got the sketch of the flames on her back, and I got two.

The first is the word “bravery” written artistically on my foot. The second is three ravens on my left collarbone. There is one for each of my family members: my mom, Uri, and Zeke. They are flying to my heart.

~~~~~~~ Time Passing~~~~~~

            Today is the day for the aptitude tests. I’m a little nervous. What if I don’t get Dauntless? Of course I will get Dauntless, what else would I be? I don’t crave knowledge as the Erudite do. I cannot be selfless like the Abnegation desire. I could never live in peace forever in Amity. I lie to quickly as the Candor despises. What I love is bravery. The adrenaline rush from the zipline, and the feeling of being free is what I desire. I AM DAUNTLESS.

            When my name is called, I give a nervous smile to Marlene and Lynn. Uriah follows me. We go to our respective rooms. I Stiff stands by a chair. “Hello, my name is Natalie Prior. I am your aptitude test administrator. Please sit.” She says gesturing to the chair.

            “I’m Tris. Tris Pedrad.” I sit in the chair. She attaches wires to herself and taps a computer screen. Then, she hands me a small glass of blue liquid. “What is it?” I ask. She doesn’t respond. She just smiles. I lean back in the chair and drink the liquid. Slowly, the lights fade and I close my eyes.

            When I open them, I am not in the aptitude test room anymore.

______········♡········_______

New chapter say whaaaat! I'm coming down with a case of... (dramatic pause)...Writer's block! Anywho,  thanks for 23 reads! Tris is about to go through initiation!! Sooo, if you have any ideas,  comment below!!

Thanks so much every one!  :D.