Chapter Twenty-Five:

After school, Charlie, Jason, and I got on the tube; back home. The tube ride home was quiet, but the walk back to Mr. Bunter's home was far from it. 

"So, you and Percival are not together anymore?" asked Jason tentatively. 

"We never were together, Jason. We'll only speak with each other during school as there's -- a project we're still working on." Charlie was silently fuming up until that point. 

Before he suddenly spun around, blocking Jason and I from walking a step forward. "A project, Venti? What project?" I was about to tell him I couldn't divulge when he looked at Jason and asked him, "And you! Why didn't you tell me Percival was involved in your beating?!" Jason opened his mouth to speak as well when Charlie hollowly laughed, "What happened to us?"

His last question was the softest out of all the others, but it packed the most punch. "Charlie," I started to say as I nudged his foot with mine. "I know I've been keeping secrets from you but I do it because I'm doing my best to protect you and Jason --"

"Ventisca," said Charlie softly. I was more surprised by the fact he said my whole first name. "I can't speak for Jason, but I never asked to be protected. I don't care what your secrets are, but when it comes to Percival, I ask you not to leave me out of the loop!"

Jason shook his head as he said, "Charlie, I don't think you should insist that Venti tell her dangerous secrets. Because unlike you, Venti has abilities and can protect herself, and also--"

"Abilities?!" exclaimed Charlie. 

I sidled up to my little brother and said, "I thought you've told Charlie about it by now?"

"Oh, so I can't have a cool secret of my own?" asked Jason rhetorically and with a raised eyebrow. I swiveled my head back in Charlie's direction when I heard a smack. 

Charlie's hand was covering his eyes as he shook his head. "What a mess," he mumbled, before letting his hand fall away from his sky blue eyes. He looked at Jason and I irritatingly. "Ventisca, if you want to keep you and Percival's project secret, then it's your right to do so. However, I can't believe you showed Jase your powers first instead of me."

"Hey!"

"You might be her little brother mate, but I had an understanding that I was her best friend forev--oof!" I was so happy he opted in not giving me the silent treatment anymore. It was killing me every moment he was. 

"I can show you my powers anytime Charlie Bunter. Just say the word!" Charlie wiggled out of my arms as I realized I was still hanging onto him. 

Jason rolled his eyes before a smug smile appeared. "Get a room, guys." Jason had no doubt dreamt of comforting his crush already. "We should get home, Venti. Mom and dad are leaving for Montepuez tomorrow."

Reality came crashing down with Jason's words. At least the sensation was a migraine instead of my stomach wanting to drop like earlier. The migraine however, was brought on by the fact that I felt obligated to help Percival. He was the one providing protection unbeknownst to my parents, after all. 

Charlie adamantly said, "No! Not until I get to see Venti's abilities." 

By the look on Jason's face he was going to tell Charlie, 'Screw yourself', but my hand on my little brother's arm stopped such words from coming out. "Okay, I'll show you Charlie." After I told him that, I closed my eyes where in the darkness, I saw the blue orb of light bouncing behind my eyelids. I felt anticipation as I welcomed the energy with open arms in my mind. It was less hesitant than the first time I accepted it. When I opened my eyes, a breeze picked up as my now white hair fluttered over my hot blue eyes.