Chapter Eleven:

Returning home, I knew a lot of things. I knew that my parents would be there until Matt had some mission for them, and we’d have to learn another language and move –again.

            I knew that Jason would berate me with questions about what happened with Percival and I. Since, I knew he’d cover me in exchange for the answers to his questions like the annoying little brother that he is. Also, I knew that Charlie would give me the silent treatment, and that I would feel partially guilty about a choice that I couldn’t un-change. Then again, I would be partially pissed that Charlie could be so freaking immature, but that’s just me.

            I knew all of this, but I was too pumped about my powers to care. Well, except for Jason.

            “Come on, Venti! Could you at least give me some leeway here?” he asked as I was about to close my bedroom door.

            “Do you know what leeway means, Jase?”

            He was hesitant as he said, “Heard it in a movie once.”

            Too pumped and wanting to kind of tell someone what happened, I nodded and said, “Okay, come in.” He was about to say something else when I gestured him inside of my room.

            I pointed at my camping chair that I unfolded in a corner of the room for a reading/studying spot. “Sit.” Sitting down with his legs crossed and his arms crossed across his chest with a defiant look on his face, he waited. “I’m only going to say this once. And no recordings or flash photography is permitted.”

            Jason raised his eyebrow as he said, “Seriously?” When I nodded, he groaned and turned off his mini recorder that he had hiding in his pocket. My parents got him that recorder as a gag gift for Christmas. “Okay. Electronics are off. Spill it.”

            “Sure you haven’t stolen dad’s cell?” Jason and I aren’t allowed to have cell phones, but our parents’ lets us borrow them on occasion. When he didn’t answer, I stretched out an empty hand, waiting. He sighed and dropped it in my hand. I laughed so hard as I asked my resourceful little brother, “How’d you get it?”

            “You know how dad’s coat is always hung by the front door?”

            “Yes.”

            “Next time you want to nab it, he accidentally leaves it in the right pocket of his jacket constantly. Just volunteer to take out the trash and get it.” He said all of this as if he was diagnosing how to cure the common cold.

            I rolled my eyes and stifled a smile as I said, “Well, there’s no way that I’m condoning this behavior Jase. No matter, how inspired your methods are.” Then as an afterthought I asked him, “No shame?”

            He shook his head in response before he looked at me again and said, “Spill it.”

            “I got a taste of what I could do.”

            “Show me, show me!” said Jason like a child. I put a finger to my lips to silence him. He then said without squealing, “What can you do?” I closed my eyes in response and let the glowing blue orb enclose around me again. When I opened my eyes I noticed I changed by the way that Jason’s eyes widened at the sight of me.

            Searching around the room, my eyes landed on one of my pillows. I pointed my index finger as I had done with Percival earlier. Hearing the soft thump and a twang, I could tell that it pierced the spring mattress. Even before Jason lifted the pillow with a hole to see where it hit.