Chapter Six:

Before I could object we were both in well...a strange place that's for sure. I felt really warm which meant according to my life changing way in which I perceive the temperature—it must have been frozen.

            "Welcome," said Percival. I didn't respond because I was too busy looking all around me. Where I saw reflections that moved, and I'm not joking either. It looked like the walls were covered in ceiling to floor length mirrors. But here's the kicker...instead of seeing your image, you saw other people's images. It was like looking into different windows of people that you never met before.

            "Pretty impressive isn't it?" asked Percival, with an amused look on his face. I laughed so hard that I felt tears come out of my eyes.

            Basically, I was on the border of amazement and absolute paralyzed fear. After my prolonged laughing Percival looked at me and said, "You're scared aren't you?"

             I walked closer to him and replied, "Yes, this is a little freaky. If my parents' friends at the EPA found out about this they'd freak too!"

            Percival looked at one of the mirrors. I followed his gaze and saw, "Jason?" He was laying down on his bed doing his homework. He was bunking in Charlie's room since they're both guys. Charlie wasn't there, but at least I know sometimes Jason listens to me (even if it's just rarely).

            "There are billions of people in the world. How are you able to focus on my brother?" I asked him.

            Percival said simply, "I just have to think about someone and they can appear in any one of these mirrors. All that you have to do is tell me who you want to see."

            Having a little fun with this I replied, "Charlie Bunter." He smiled and showed an image of Charlie...with Rachel. I shook my head and said to him, "That's not real. It can't be."

            "And how do you know that?"

            "I can tell when people lie and let's face it—a guy as powerful as you always has something up his sleeve. Oh, and your smile gave you away." I said this all in one breath, still nervous as I noticed that the floor was glossy and the possibility of falling down in my stuffed up heels were pretty high.

            Percival's laugh was soft as he said, "I always was a bad liar. You really are destined for this you know Ventisca."

            My shoulders sagged a little as I said, "So what? I'm destined to hang out with crazy powerful individuals? If that's my destiny then I don't want it."

            Percival shook his head and replied, "Ventisca, you don't have a choice. There are no coincidences."

            "That's the second time that you've said it Percival." The image of my brother was still playing in the mirror. For a moment, he took a break from reading and picked his nose. My brother's at a pretty tender age right now. He's basically walking off the edge of childhood and falling into manhood. It can be a very rocky road.

            Speaking of... "Do you always bring unsuspecting girls to your lair for date night?"

            "With your original accent, you are very feisty," was Percival's response. Even today, he makes my blood boil—and not in the romantic sense.

             I decided to switch back to my British accent to get to the point. "I'm ready to get off of this glacier and into a restaurant. How about it Percival?" He hooked his arm to my elbow this time around as we were brought back to the bench in Norbury Park.