Chapter Two:

• Dedicated to Artemisa-Patricia Brown

            Everyone including myself, ate at a local restaurant. They were serving cooked meats on sticks and for the veggie lovers, tofu on sticks. Since no one in my family is a veghead, we stuck with the shish kabob meat style stuff.

            No one really talked. Mostly, everyone kept on staring at me, as if I was some circus act. After a couple minutes of silence I decided to get up and told my dad, "I need to use the restroom." My dad nodded and I was off. At first, it was a relief to be in no one's company.

            But then relief turned into hysteria for I felt like someone was spying on me. I even pretended that I was tying my shoes as I looked under the stalls for feet. I came up with nothing, and I returned to the sink and continued doing what I've been doing since I entered the restroom five minutes previous. I looked at myself in the mirror, and I shivered still feeling cold even with my jacket on.       

            How strange my eyes are I thought. Even in the dim light of the restroom it looked like the bright blue crystal eyes were twinkling as if there were constellations mixed into the blue that was my eyes. Eyes can't twinkle I thought in turn to this strange discovery.       

            I also noticed that whenever I touched my hair, it felt like silk. Like I just came out of the shower except that I haven't showered yet, and I've been bedridden for two weeks. One time I broke my leg and two ribs and had to stay bedridden for a week. That week my hair felt dry and split at the ends. However, the white hair looked and felt perfect, and so out of place at the same time.    

            "Be gone blue eyes and white hair. You're not welcome," I said to the mirror. It didn't work. The eyes and hair remained the same.

I felt on the verge of tears when my brother entered the bathroom saying, "Mom and dad told me to check up on you."      

            When I looked at him, he had that same look as the hospital. I wasn't able to describe that look until that moment, which is why I asked him, "Jason, what do you know about the avalanche?"         

             At first shock spread to his face and he said, "I don't—," but then he stopped himself and said something different. "When you were caught in the snow, I saw something really weird."           

            "What was it? Why didn't you tell me this before?" I asked pushing away from the sink and the mirror. If weird was what made me this way, even back then, I knew the news wasn't going to be great.      

             Jason shrugged and said, "I thought I was crazy."

             "What did you see?" I prodded.   

              With a slight hesitation in his voice Jason said, "I saw this blue stuff in the snow. Glowing blue stuff and—and before I turned my back to go to mom and dad—I saw you glow blue for a moment before I couldn't see you anymore."   

            "I glowed blue?" Jason only nodded in reply. I wanted to ask him more, but my brother looked guilty enough as it was. So I just shrugged, smiled, and said, "Well you know that this new look has something positive about it."

             Then Jason asked me, "What?"

              I turned around to look at him and said, "I've always been counted out as the only member in the family to have dark hair and eyes. At least now, I kind of look related to you."        

             Jason sighed and answered, "I was afraid you'd say that."         

             "Let's go," I said swinging open the restroom door, "Everyone'll assume that we've been kidnapped."