Chapter Eight:

Just as I suspected, Percival and I were in his mirror world again. The images around us still flashed with people. An elderly man brushing his teeth, an Asian woman putting on eyeliner, and a guy who was probably naked, but I could only see his chest area. Thank goodness.

            Distracted by the images, I only saw Percival again when he clapped loudly. "What?" I asked him, puzzled at why he was clapping at me.

            "I just needed to get your attention. If you're going to learn to unleash that power inside of you, you need to focus." His eyes intently looked at me up and down. Not in a gross way, but like he was wondering.

            "Okay, so should I close my eyes and let the bluey light come out of me or what?" I asked him. I already knew how to switch it off, but switching it back on...it's not what I wanted at the time, but it's the deal that Percival and I made. And, if there's anything that I know about me, is that I love follow through.

            Percival said, thinking aloud, "Whenever I touch people, I don't really need to think about how that power is being utilized. I just do it, and that's because I'm half of what my father was. You however," he paused to point at me with his finger wagging in my direction, "You acquired your power from the avalanche. So, tell me Ventisca. How on earth, did you change back to your normal visage?"

            That's when I told him about the energy inside. The blue light that pulses, bounces, and is nothing but active in me.

            After hearing my story Percival nodded and paced for a moment. Then he said, "So, if the energy being free is what made you normal, then what happens if you do more than just touch it. What if, you consume it."

            "Consume it?"

            "Yes! Try it Ventisca," replied Percival with a wave of his hand like he saw this every day.

            I shook my head and said to him, "Percival, it could probably kill me. And by the way, what about the first time that I didn't look like me. I didn't have to consume the energy to not be me so what makes you think I've got to do that now? It doesn't sound like a smart move to me Percival. For all we both know, I could explode and you could say good-bye to your little experiment."

            "You're more than just an experiment Ventisca," replied Percival with a disappointed look on his face. "And I think that it will work if you consume it. When I was young," he started, sounding like a very old man in a teenager's body, "I started out with my powers free and moving like yours. I couldn't control it at first, and when I did. When I accepted it I guess, it melded with me and here I am now, thousands of years later."

            "So, what do you think will happen if I accept it? Does that mean that I won't be me at all anymore Percival? Because, because that would just suck," I responded. Tears brimmed my eyes for a little bit before I closed my lashes to gently push the water back into my corneas.

            Percival wrapped his hand in mine as he said, "Maybe, but it's worth a try. Besides, how your power reacts is up to you Ventisca. Just like how my powers reacted to me once I accepted the responsibility and the family calling." I scoffed at his response.

            "Easy for you to say, Percival. At least your family could relate to who you are."

            "Well, consider me your family Ventisca. I can relate to how you feel. Having powers is a heavy burden and in reality it will sometimes suck, but you will accept it. After all, the blue light wouldn't have chosen you as a source if it didn't know you could handle it." However, even though Percival's words were nice, he still looked unsure about it himself.