Chapter Fourteen:

The next day Jason didn't talk to me at school or at home. The day after that, he started his glaring phase. He would openly glare at me in the hallways at school and with subtlety at home.

            In fact, as the dance was nearing, Jason only got madder at me. Of course, as Jason's frustrations grew and Charlie was still on the ignore Venti track, Percival was the only one who kept me company. When I was alone in my room he would communicate through my small mirror and we would be doing power training in his mirrored room. Then when I was at school and pretty much alone—except for the occasional conversation with a blissfully happy Rachel—Percival acted like my boyfriend.

            He walked me to my locker between classes, carried my books at the end of the day, and even left sweet little notes for me. How did I know they were from him? Well, who else could write poetry in the old English Speech so flawlessly?

            However, it wasn't till the day before the dance in which Percival took the boyfriend stuff a little too far.

            It was the end of the day and I was at my locker. Rachel was talking about how we could go to the dance in the same car and kind of do double dates. I kept on nodding at what she said, even though I held no interest in going on a double date with Percival. I didn't even initially want to go on a single date with Percival. Nonetheless, Rachel didn't know this.

            "Why are you so interested in your locker all of a sudden?" she asked me. I sighed as I shoved my school books in my backpack and closed the zipper.

            "I guess I'm a little nervous of going to a dance with Percival. I mean, he just asked me out a couple of days ago...and—" My throat clogged when I felt the warmth approach me.

            Rachel giggled and whispered, "And you just got speechless looking at Percival."

            Before I could say anything back to Rachel to defend myself, Percival stood right next to me, leaning into my shoulder. "Hello Ventisca," he purred as he took hold of my hand and twirled me in the hallway. Everyone was looking around and I tried to shield the stares, by slumping closer to my open locker. Percival regarded Rachel with a warm smile as he said, "Hello Rachel. Do you mind if I steal Ventisca away from you for a moment?"

            "Not at all," replied Rachel as she walked down the hall and greeted Charlie with an enthusiastic wave.

            Lifting my backpack out of my locker I mumbled, "Wonder what other public displays of affection you have for me?" He leaned down to my level and just stared at me. To be honest, the staring contest was freaking me out.

            Where is the guy who was vicious and condescending towards me? And why no matter how he's changed did I still see nothing but coldness in his eyes?

            "Do you really want to know?" he asked. His question caught me off guard. So much that I didn't put up a fight when he kissed me. When our lips touched it felt like we were soul mates. Both of our lips were so warm against one another, but I felt a chill when I felt a stare.

            Moving my lips away from his I glanced down the hallway and realized where the chill came from. Charles Bunter frowning disapprovingly in my direction also paired with a flash of hurt. Rachel on the other hand was waving at me with a digital camera in her hands. She put two thumbs up as she yelled towards us, "Got it!"

            Blushing wasn't even an option for me. At that moment it was a requirement. I smiled at Percival as I whispered, "Why the hell did you do that?" I didn't care if my finely tuned British accent faded away with those words. I was mad. No, I was more than mad. Try the phrase seeing red because it just fit the moment we had perfectly. Percival cupped my chin with one of his hands as he leaned in again.