Chapter 12

Shattered Heart

A/n: sorry for the delay. My school has started so I will not be able to update as frequently as I used to. Also this chapter may be a little boring. But the latter chapters will be better. I promise.

"Have you taken that black glittery dress I gifted you last year?" Mary asked me.

"Yes, I have."

"And what about the Swarovski necklace that mom lent you?"

"Yes, I have taken that too. And just for the record, she didn't 'lend' it to me, she gave it to me, just the way she gave you the Porsche." I said laughing.

"Well you've got to admit, they love me 'a tad' more than they love you. You got a second hand necklace while I got a brand new car."

"The car you got is also second hand actually, because they bought it for them selves but then, you started throwing tantrums, so, they gave it to you, without even using it once."

"Whatever, I still got a 'new' car. But anyways, coming to the real question, has any old friend, with whom you have lost touch with, contacted you recently?"

"Yeah, Jess did. She wanted to congratulate me. Both of us are on the nomination list, so, she just probably wanted to wish me all the best. But why  do you ask?"

"No, nothing in particular. So no male friends/enemies have contacted you?"

"No Mary. And I don't have any enemies, especially not male ones. Are you all right? Your heart beat can be heard over the phone." I asked a little confused because of her enquires.

"Yeah, I am fine. I'm just so excited that my sister is going to be given such a prestigious award! I can finally say, with great and genuine pride, that Veronica Stevens is my sister."

"Firstly, ouch! Secondly, there is no surety of me winning. There is a tough compe..."

"Competition? From when did this word even start existing in your dictionary? I mean, the Veronica I know, never considered anyone as her competition. So, who ever this doubtful person is that I am talking to, I would like to have my dear sister back."

"You said dear sister! I knew you were joking when you indirectly said that you had disowned me." I said giggling.

"Then you would know that I said 'dear sister' sarcastically. Anyways, both Justin and I have realized that we have given birth to a monster and unfortunately she has woken up so..."

"You can't talk now. It's alright. I'll be seeing you guys in a few hours anyways, so till then, try to stay alive. And this goes to all of you. Bye."

"Bye. Have a safe flight and don't miss me too much till then." Both of us laughed and I ended the call.

Lately Mary and I didn't speak much because she was busy taking care of Esmerelda while I was busy working my ass off. But when ever we spoke we tried our best to fill each other about our lives.

Things had finally settled down in my life and this time for real. My personal and professional life was finally in my command rather than them commanding me. Any one who interacted with me and knew me, always said that I am the most sorted person they have met. Everyone wanted to live my prefect life.

But, let me tell you a little secret about life. You cannot settle down in life completely till the time your heart and mind are not in synchrony. They have complement each other at all times to help you lead a happy life. And in my case, everything around me was in place and the situation I was in couldn't have been better. But even this 'perfect' life was hurting me because deep within I was not happy.