Moon One

Moon One

Imagine being trapped in an almost virtual world where you are not yourself but it is actually you.

Welcome to the life of Cole Kenward!

Seventeen years has done nothing to me, despite the so called dramatic change that happened two years ago I'm still live and kicking.

"Ha," I laughed dully tempted to scribble out my introduction to my short story.

I hated English; it was far too personal for the likes of me, someone who would be hooked up to a machine if the secret of me being part man part wolf got out.

And we had to do this recollect of ourselves, and try to do it in a short story format. Luna would probably know what to say, but we aren't in the same English class. She has Ancient History now.

Damn.

I glanced over at the rest of the class, they weren't scared of me anymore (much to my dismay) moreover they were used to me.

That's Luna's fault I added scribbling out the first sentence and starting again.

No one can comprehend what the typical teenager has....

Damn I lost my train of thought I realised reaching to cross it out.

"Having trouble there?" I glared at Stephen Everest. I had other names for him, ones which I had not yet had the pleasure of calling....

"Can I see what you've written?" He asked suddenly beside me.

Calm down Cole, just calmly tell him....

"Hey that's pretty good," he said over my shoulder. How I so badly wanted to throw him on the floor in front of me. Ages ago and I wouldn't have been able to stand within a metre of him.

But thanks to Luna he can bear me... Life was no longer how it used to be.

"You're not too bad at this," Stephen said rolling up the sleeves of his hideous football jersey, "have you considered a career in writing?"

"Nah, I already have a career path in mind." This was a partial lie, I had in mind, hunting maybe, mechanic probably but not writing.

"That's great," Stephen said grinning behind his mild fear, "I still have no idea with what I'm going to do the year after the next."

Probably football I guessed as he stood back up straight and went to his desk next to his friend Pete. Ever since his best friend died six months ago he had been very quiet ever since.

I probably would have been the same if my best friend had died...What best friend? I didn't have one, unless maybe....Luna...

"How have things been with her?" I suddenly heard Stephen's voice nearby as we grabbed our books (his kept in a folder, mine heaved in a pile) and left for the end of school.

"Huh?" I asked dumbly, not caring that his group was listening in, "oh yeah things are....Good." That got them talking.

Ever since the news got out that I'd started (not being a boyfriend) but had started a relationship with Luna, rumours had been flung faster than a baseball or the football in a team practice.

This had irked me since the dumb jocks asked if I had done her (which is rather revolting in my opinion!)

And I can't imagine what kind of questions the girls are asking Luna. What cologne does he use? Is there a six pack? Anything else that referred to down below made me feel uneasy.

She had told me all this at lunch when we usually hung out. 

"They ask those sorts of things?" Today the question had been what underwear does he use?

"Yeah, imagine having to say, I don't know, it's really irritating," she admitted leaning back against the tree where we sat, her hand resting on my knee.

"I know how it feels," I'd nearly punched one of the basketball team members because he wanted to know how wide (in inches) her chest was and I'd told him I'm not one of them (plus a few other dirty words.)

She sighed before glancing up at me while I tried hard not to stare at that area. Curse the pink/orange shirt she wore, (it made her more appealing!)

"Say," she asked out of the blue, "aren't you going to eat today?" I had to wait three more days for my hunting night.

I shook my head, "I'll be catching a moose on Saturday." She raised her eyebrows at me.

"So you plan on going to Canada?" She asked, I shrugged; I had come to close to crossing the border but I ran out of energy and had to turn back.

"Depends," I said gazing up at the top of the tree where the light came in-between the leaves, "the antlers would make good chew toys."

"That's lovely Cole," she said a little turned off, "you are a wolf so I suppose it's normal."

"Would a wolf be able to do this?" Without giving any warning I began to run my fingers down the side of her abdomen, making her tickle.

"Cole," she exclaimed struggling in my grasp, "that tickles."

"I know," I told her as she fell over and I was there, fingers tickling her neck and her shoulders.

Breathing hard she stared at me, a slight grin on her face. As I stopped her face relaxed, I stared back at her, my own heart beating rather oddly.

Before I knew what I was doing I began to lower my face, while she closed her eyes.

"There you are Luna!" Her friend's high pitched, superficial voice called, freezing us in our tracks.

I shifted my gaze at a pair of faded purple converses as they stood in the grass. I raised my head to peer at her somewhat alarmed face and I quickly moved off Luna.

"Gwen," Luna said as I shifted my eyes to stare at her friend who seemed even more revolting in her strange purple shirt and her denim skirt. The colour clashed with her skin tone.

"I was sent by Coach Ashton to look for you," she said giving me the evil eye when she had the chance; (she hadn't been thrilled when she learnt of us.)  

"So why did he send for me?" Luna asked pulling a leaf from her hair.

"He wants to speak to you. Says it's about districts or something like that," Gwen shrugged, and then she greeted me.

"Well...What a surprise seeing you here Cole," she said frowning at me, "I would have imagined you would be going after some unfortunate prey." (I'd been told I was a predator when it came to certain things.)

"Well maybe then I'll come after you," I said grinning behind slight fury. She laughed half heartedly.

"Oh how amusing," Gwen (cow) said with plenty of sarcasm, "well that will have to wait I'm afraid. Come on Luna, we can't leave him waiting."

Luna reluctantly got to her feet, "alright if you say so. You go on ahead; I promise I'll join you." When Gwen was out of sight Luna bent down and whispered in my ear, "please try not to bite her head off," her sincere but almost sickly sweet tone made my inner wolf bark like a puppy.

"Fine," I sighed leaning back against the tree. She smiled at me.

"See you later."

"Yeah," I called waving to her as she left. I closed my eyes and breathed out deeply. It was at that point I knew how my story should end.

I had once this uncontrollable side, one at which I was not able to control.

But then it all changed...