32. so...it's a date?

The Music Festival was this weekend, and yet everything felt like it was coming too soon. With the new arrival of Melvis as the teacher's assistant, and the gossip that formulated because of his arrival-- My will to perform had sort of...diminished.

I was sure I would be laughed off the stage, maybe even booed. Yet, since 9th grade I had wanted to participate in this...and this was my last year in school.

What I needed was...a song.

A song to penetrate the cruelty of the audience.

It happened at home, on my way to school- Klaus was up early watching a movie called Beyond The Lights. I was just passing by the living room on my way out of the door when I heard someone singing.

The woman on the screen

Why you wanna fly...blackbird

You ain't ever gonna fly

Why you wanna fly Blackbird

You ain't ever gonna fly

The pain was what stood out to me

Raw pain was in her voice, you could feel her struggles in the guttural sound of her vocals. It touched me, it made me want to jump into the movie and attempt to comfort her as she went on to sing. (video on the side of this movie scene, if you haven't seen the movie it won't spoil anything for you either way)

It was the exact reaction I wanted from the crowd at school.

Not love, not affection, they didn't even have to tolerate me

But I did want acceptance

Acceptance of the pain that resided inside of me, I wanted them to feel it in my voice. To realize that I was not titanium, words did hurt.

This was the song I was going to sing, I knew the song already...but I never heard the emotion in it until watching this movie scene.

(A/N: This movie scene belongs to the movie Beyond The Lights, in no way am I taking anything from that-- just the song, which was written by Nina Simone before this movie was created. I am however receiving inspiration from the movie Beyond The Lights to use this song because it was an amazing performance by the actress Gugu Mbatha-Raw)

I caught a glimpse of a single tear trailing down Klaus's cheek, and before he could see me standing there silently behind him I left the house with a new resolution and a much-clearer head.

Maybe the Music Festival wouldn't go as planned the day after tomorrow, but at least I had a song to sing-- at the last minute, but I could make it work.

Hopefully.

I was walking down the block towards school when a sleek green car pulled over next to me.

"Aye yo ma."

I involuntarily smiled as Anthony called out of his window.

"Let me holla' at you for a sec."

I continued walking, just to play around with him a little.

Until he got out of the car, opened the passenger door, and manually lifted me by my waist, like a baby with a stinky diaper

He then dropped me into the passenger seat, and shut the door, smirking to himself beneath his yellow hoodie.

I crossed my arms, attempting to be upset at being man-handled yet I couldn't deny that I liked when he touched me...and the way he so easily picked me up without straining was a definite turn-on.