Chapter Thirteen - Plan

-

Life's like a play: it's not the length, but the excellence of the acting that matters.

- Lucius Annaeus Seneca

-

Noro slurps his drink inside that ugly-ass container that he has, his shiny gelled hair reflecting light almost everywhere. You can't help, but stare enviously at him, your throat feeling dry . You could almost imagine the freshly blended mix of blood and finger flesh going down your throat like how water was for humans.

"Goddamn it Noro!" You slap Noro and then snatch his drink the moment he turned his head to face you. You immediately furiously gulp the entire drink down in one shot and smile cheekily at him, his facial expression completely priceless.

" I saw him." Noro suddenly mutters, turning away from you, and then his tongue makes its way around the surface of the plastic cup, licking the blood smears clean off. You pause and then smirk.

"Kaneki Ken~" you speak softly, his name on the tip of your tongue, crisp and sweet.

"He was looking for you." Noro comments impassively, and you snap your head up, your eyes widened before you retreat back to your original position. Lazily lying on your hand, you chuckle softly.

The rest of the Aogiri Tree turns silent as they sense a dangerous aura emanating from you. You cock your head back and then open your tin case, popping a small sugar cube into your mouth swiftly, feeling the disgusting coarse texture of the crystallized plastic  melt into your mouth and burn down your throat.

The humans all around were completely unaware of the danger that you posed, chattering away happily with the occasional glances from guys and girls daring enough to even look at you.

A glimmer of excitement flashes through your eyes and you laugh. " Let's eat!" You abruptly stand, clapping your hands. The blinds of the windows automatically dropped, the darkness enveloping the area, causing all the humans to be in a frenzy. The doors locked shut with the automated number lock in place.

Glowing in the darkness were the countless pairs of eyes, lighting up the dark with their neon red brightness glimmering. They would've been a source of solace in a normal situation, but everyone knew what it meant when this happened.

No one was going to be walking out of this shop alive.

The silver streaks in your eyes burned brilliantly and then your smile grows wider and wider. You nod, and then howls of excitement erupt, followed the continuous stream of screams filled with terror and fear, maniacal laughter and the beautifully composed sound of flesh ripping with the rhythm of blood gushing and dripping.

A melody of mania.

-

Kaneki could smell it from a mile away.

All the ghouls could. The smell of flesh like a sweet concoction of passion and love. It was a drug, and every ghoul was addicted to it.