Chapter 18

"So Lily Mae Hopper, this is your first taste of a Nirvana tour—what are your thoughts so far?" Krist asks, pointing a camera at Lily as they sat in the backstage area before the show.

Lily had ended up taking a week off work so she could join Nirvana for a short tour of Canada. She was sort of testing out whether she wanted to join the band on bigger tours in the fall, once they were promoting the record that still existed only in theory.

"Well I get to go to Canada in early March, who wouldn't be excited?" She replies sarcastically. Dave snorts next to her and lights a cigarette.

"Krist leave her alone, she's tired" Says Shelli swatting at him and he in turns the camera to her, teasing her by interrogating her about the fun she's had so far on tour.

"So how are you enjoying tour so far Hopps?" Dave asks, looking up from the magazine he was reading.

"Its good, very glamorous" She replies with a grin, "I especially love that even though we're in another country, I still get to share a room with you Davey!"

"Yes, but do you prefer a glamorous Holiday Inn or the confines of a one bedroom apartment shared by three people and approximately fifteen animals" He jokes and she rolls her eyes.

"I guess only Kurt would be able to say" She replies with a laugh.

"That's true, where is that guy?" Krist says and immediately Lily regrets bringing him up in his absence. No one had said anything about it thus far and she had been hoping to keep it that way.

"I think he's out in the car sleeping" She lied quickly.

He wasn't in the car sleeping. As they spoke he was in the car shooting heroin he had scored from a guy at their first Canadian tour stop. He wanted to use it all up before they left the country again and was therefore being reckless and using before a sound check.

She would check on him soon, casually, just to make sure he was ok. She refused to be in the room while he did it if she could help it.

"We should go wake his ass up then!" Calls Krist and Lily stops him, all joking gone from her voice.

"No he needs his rest--his stomach has been killing him lately" She says, "Interview us more Krist" She adds, changing the subject.

After a few more minutes of humoring Krist, Lily excuses herself to go check on Kurt, under the pretense of making sure he wasn't puking anymore.

She opens the door gently and inside the car she's greeted by an extremely high Kurt.

"Hi" He says, leaning over and kissing her.

"Hey baby" She whispers, trying to pretend he was normal, "How do you feel?"

"Better" He sighs, wrapping his arms around her, "I'm so glad you're here for this tour Lily. You make things ten times better"

She forces a smile, knowing what he really meant was she made things so he was able to take drugs on the road and get away with it. However, she doesn't want to articulate that opinion when he's in this state.

"Are you going to want to come into the backstage, we all miss you!" She says and she feels him groan.

"Come on Lil, can't we just hang out for once!"

"We do! Literally we hang out 75% of every day!" She says incredulously.

"You hang out with Dave and Krist and Shelli all the time!" He whines.

"I hang out with you all the time too!" Lily replies heatedly, "You're my boyfriend"

"Exactly! You're supposed to hang out with me the most, not them" He says and Lily scoffs, immediately pulling away from him.