Chapter Seventeen-Remembering

Another tube is here, but as I watch Shuri get into it seems like this definitely isn't a normal slide. She shoots off from lying flat and I blink. Incredible. I hop in and catch Okoye's smirk at Natasha before I take off. Laughter tumbles from my lips as the fast movement dries my clothes and hair almost instantly before dropping me onto my feet back into the top level of Shuri's lab. I step out and Shuri laughs, gesturing to my hair. I reach up and find it a bit more...voluminous than before. The ponytail is now bushy like a fox's tail.

"At least I'm dry." I combat and run my fingers through the tangles. Shuri hums to satisfy me as Okoye shows up and steps out of the tube as well. Natasha is next and she demurely readjusts her scarf before she looks just as she was. I huff irately as she smirks.

"Tony would love this travel style," I comment blasely and Natasha nods, then laughs softly when I realize who Tony is.

"Nearly there, Jo." She tells me and my brows furrow, but I don't have time to ask who I'm missing. Her eyes go over my shoulder and I follow her gaze.

"I was wondering when you two would come back. And with Okoye." T'Challa speaks and steps around the spiraling ramp.

"My King." Okoye puts a fist over her heart and I do the same. A soft smile curves his lips up as he moves closer.

"If Ms. Romanoff's presence is anything to go by, you're doing better." He says and I nod, but my mind is still on Peter. I've got to see him. God knows what I'd do if I was in his shoes. T'Challa steps to the side as he speaks again. "Sergeant Barnes wanted to see you, Jo. I thought seeing one person at a time might help your memory." Bucky comes around the same way with an apprehensive look on his face. A relieved smile overtakes my lips as I rush over and jump, wrapping my arms around his neck. It only takes him a moment to wrap his arms tight around me and lift my feet off the floor.

"Jesus Christ, kid you scared the rest of us half to death you know that? God." Bucky curses and just feeling his familiarity makes my eyes watery.

"So, you're not too mad at me for almost dying?" I tease and he laughs, setting me back on my feet.

"I'll be plenty mad at you once the relief wears off." He assures me and brushes my hair back with a cold hand. "How are you?" Bucky asks gently.

"Well enough to start a storm," Natasha responds and points out the window. Droplets smear across the glass and everywhere else is a blur because of the downpour. I half smile a bit sheepishly at Bucky's disapproving, but unsurprised, face.

"Was this your doing?" T'Challa asks as he walks to the window. Bucky shakes his head while I smirk.

"Yes. Okoye said the rain was being stubborn. No one is more stubborn than me." Bucky snorts in agreement and I elbow his stomach in retaliation. We stop our play when T'Challa turns back around.

"Wakanda is grateful. We had been far too long without rain and our crops would have suffered if the drought had lasted longer." I smile and shrug.

"It was a pleasure to help," I tell him sincerely.

"Seems fate was with us when you arrived, Jo." Okoye comments and my head shakes.

"I'd hope fate would be kind enough to not nearly kill me next time." The room laughs and I relish the relief and happiness coming off of Bucky.

"We should give the both of you time to talk." T'Challa waves Shuri and Okoye towards him. "We'll talk at a later time, Jo." Our eyes meet and I note that they also have the same edge that Shuri's did. Whatever Shuri's been hiding, it seems the king is now in the know as well. Okoye and the King exit and Natasha leaves just after them. Shuri, however, stops and tosses me another bracelet of black beads.