Chapter Twelve-Side Effects

The rumble of the stairs behind us does nothing to soothe my fears, but once we're in complete darkness fluorescent lights appear above our heads. After my eyes adjust, I look around and find that the dirt turns to metal the further we get in the tunnel. It's an apt name since all I see is a long hall with doors lining either side. Peter and I make no noise as we walk forward, but we're soon intercepted.

"Nice to see that you made it, Jo." Coulson suddenly speaks from behind us and one of the doors clicks shut. "And you, Mr. Parker." I nod in greeting while Peter grins at being called Mr. anything.

"I'm not saying that I accept, but I'd like a clue about what I'm actually getting into." I preface and Coulson nods.

"Of course. This way, please." He waves us forward and moves next to me as we walk. I like that. Most would pull forward. "We wouldn't call you about any trivial matter. The men and women we keep here are guilty of capital crimes. The information you would be extracting would lend to the apprehension of other like-minded criminals, as well as preventing further loss of life." Coulson explains and opens one of the doors to the right. He waves me forward and I duck in with Peter just behind me.

The room is dark and has a large window looking into a room that's exactly the same. Except there's a small table and two chairs in the latter room with two people within. One is sitting in the chair and is chained to the max while the other walks around him. I move to the window and recognize the woman as Kathy. She's nearly unrecognizable in black jeans, long-sleeved black shirt, and combat boots. Her knuckles have been torn into bloody ribbons and the man's face explains why. He's all black and blue bruises with a sprinkling of blood all over him. Blood tapes mats of brown hair to his head and swelling disguises the rest of his features. Coulson steps forward and presses a button under the edge of the window. "Exit, Ms. Ross." He requests and she walks to the door without hesitation. She walks through and enters our space. Dislike fills my mouth as she looks over at me with shock in her eyes. Apparently, she didn't expect to see me here.

"Sir?" She questions Coulson and he opens the door, then waves to me once again. I squeeze Peter's hand before releasing him and stepping through. The metallic stench of blood hits me hard and I swallow as Coulson shuts the door behind him.

"What do you want to know?" The man's head snaps up when he hears my voice and he slowly starts to laugh. He spits a puddle of blood onto the shining silver table before straightening up.

"You've brought in...a little girl now?" He chuckles and gasps in pain. "This reeks of desperation, Coulson." He grounds out in a gravelly voice. My eyes go back to Coulson and remain steady on his grey-blue ones.

"He has an accomplice named Diana Sliveen. We need to know where she's hiding out. They stole a piece of alien tech that could level several twenty story buildings." He informs me. Feeling his honesty, I nod and drag the extra chair back. I sit down and take a breath before reaching into the man's mind. Pain hits me hard and I'm thankful I sat down before attempting this. Fighting through it is like wading through hip-deep mud.

"Diane Sliveen," I speak her name and images of her rise up through the murk reflexively. Her as an adult and her as a child. Interest spikes within me. "Hideout." A picture of an old house rises up and I latch onto it. Snippets of words rise up as well. "Madison, Wisconsin. The old house of...her adopted parents. They left it to her when they died." I snap out of his mind and gasp at the sudden absence of pain. Coulson's hand lands on my shoulder and I look over into his eyes in surprise.

"Are you alright?" He asks and I shake my head to clear it.

"Right. I mean yes, I'm fine. Did you get what you needed?" He helps me up with a hand under my arm and nods.