Chapter Ten

Hmmm lets say the next chapter update will be after.... 5 comments and 10 votes? Please? I'll give you all a cookie!!

Enjoy <3

“Did you call your parents?” I asked him as I gently stroked Jamie’s hair as he signed her birth certificate.

“I was about to.” He handed it off to the nurse coming to sit next to me. “Look at her.” He smiled running the tip of his finger over her little hand.

“She’s so small.” I smiled at him as she moved her hand.

“She looks like you.” He smiled at me. I looked down at her as she moved her mouth.

“I still see you.” I looked up at him and tapped his nose giggling.

“Feeling better?” He asked stroking my hair. I nodded.

“Probably the iron in the IV.” I looked over at the doctor as he smiled walking in. “You don’t have to worry about taking in enough for two now.” He looked down at Jamie. “She really is a cutie.” I smiled at him as Jamie started to fuss.

“Why don’t you go call your parents Kellan?” He looked at me then the doctor. I blush as I watched Jamie’s little face scrunch up as she started to cry. I didn’t just want to whip out my boob in front of him. It’s changed from almost 9 month. Dr. Holden looked around awkwardly not knowing what to do. Kellan’s eyes lit up finally understanding.

“Sure baby. I’ll be back soon. I have to call them, my sister, my brother, the guys at the firehouse, then my grandparents. You know them.” He shook his head kissing my forehead. I looked at the doctor after he left. “Uh, can you…help me?” He smiled walking over showing me what to do….

“Hey Mom.” Kellan said sitting down in the waiting room on one of the chairs.

“Hi Sweetheart! How are you today?” His mother said in a cheery voice.

“Well, I had Chinese for lunch, I think I need a show, Char had the baby, and it’s showing here. I haven’t seen snow in a while. It’s so…white.” He smiled rubbing a hand down his jeaned leg.

“Oh that’s nice…wait…CHAROLETTE HAD THE BABY!” She screamed. “Bob get your ass in here!” Kellan laughed as he heard his Dad in the background. “So!?!?”

“Jamie Eleanor Palmer, a healthy 5 pound 8 ounce baby girl.” He could hear his mother’s crying.

“Oh Kellan I want pictures! Have you decided what you two are going to do?” He ran a hand down his face.

“She’s been sick so I haven’t asked, but her father has.”

“Elliot is a good man, Kellan.” Bob, Kellan’s father said to him.

“I know Dad. I have to talk about where we are going to be staying with Jamie. I’m staying with them no matter what. They’re my family now.” He sighed standing up.

“Good Kellan. They’re what matters. Now go back to them. Talk about it.” Kellan could almost hear his father’s smile.

“And when you figure it out you tell your mother because I want to my new grandbaby.” His mother gushed. He smiled before shaking his head.

“I will Mom. I have to go.” They said their goodbyes before he hung up. He knocked on the door.

“Come in.” I smiled as I stroked Jamie’s hair as she nursed. “Did you call everyone?” He blinked at me before shaking his head.

“I’ll call the firehouse later. My parents can call everyone else.” He sat down watching as the doctor gave me pointers on how to breast feed. “How’s it going?”

“It feels so weird.” I scrunched up my nose. “She’s greedy like her daddy.” He rolled his eyes at me. “You look like a man on a mission.” He leaned back in his chair. “What’s wrong?” I pulled Jamie off as she started to fuss. The doctor handed me a burp cloth as I covered up. I gently patted her back as I stared at him.

“I was just talking about us.” I cocked my head to the side. “What we’re going to do now.” He sighed. “We’re both living on different sides of the country.” I sighed as Jamie burped.

“When do you think she can fly, Doc?” Dr. Holden looked at me.

“Safest time for her to fly would be 2-3 months old. But if you want to go and you’re careful, she can fly in about 2 weeks. But you’d need to talk to your pediatrician at her 2 week checkup. She should be okay then. I can give you a list of everything to bring and do. I was flying with all my kids when they were babies.” I moved up in the bed to hand Jamie to Kellan. He was holding her so gently like she was going to brake at any moment. I smiled as she cried and he looked at me to figure out what to do.

“Rock her a little. She has a full belly and she’s tired.” He gently rocked her.

“Daddy’s here.” He whispered as she fell asleep as I snapped a picture of them.

“Doc, do you think I can get a shower?” He nodded.

“I can send a nurse in to help you.” He stood up and walking out. I moved from the bed and picked up Kellan’s backpack. I left the two of them to bond while I got cleaned up with the help of a lovely nurse. She was telling me stories of her kids. I pulled my hair up as I walked down to the bed exhausted. Kellan looked at me as I sat down.

“Do you want her?” I laid down closing my eyes.

“I’m just going to take a little nap.” He kissed my head as he leaned back in the chair putting Jamie on his shoulder.

“Go head. I got this handled.” I fell asleep quickly drained…..

“You ready to go?”  I smiled at him as I gently rocked the half-naked Jamie in my arms. I freaked out because her umbilical cord stump fell off.

“She’s fine. Sometimes babies just have to move a certain way and it falls off.” I nod at him. “If you’re still nervous, call your pediatrician. But she’s fine.” I looked at the little black piece of skin in my hand then at him. “I promise. She just moved the right way when she was on the bed and it fell off early. For now just keep her diaper off of it.” He patted my back.

“Okay, you sure she’ll be okay?” He smiled at me.

“You’re a new mother; you are going to be concerned. But she’s fine. I promise. Just keep it clean, and don’t soak it. So wait 10 days before you give her a full on bath.” I nodded. I looked at Jamie’s going home outfit and looked at Kellan. “You’re doing great. Don’t stress. You have my number; call me if you need anything.” He patted Kellan’s back. “Welcome to the world of parenting.” He laughed as he walked out of the room.

“What’d I miss? I just called your Dad to see where he was.” I showed him the piece of skin. “Uh, Char…?”

“It’s from her umbilical cord. It’s a big deal.” I sighed putting it gently in his hand. “Please put it carefully in the book. It’s labeled.” I picked up the little pink creeper. I picked this outfit out the day I found out I was having a girl. I pulled on her pants as she fussed. I put in her pacifier as I pulled on her hat.

“Is this good, Char?” I looked over smiling.

“Thank you.” I picked up Jamie as Kellan got her car seat and put it on the bed.

“Calm down, Baby. It’s alright.” I take a deep breath and lay her down in the seat. “She looks adorable.” He kissed me. I smiled at her as she fell asleep. Kellan’s phone beeped. “Your Dad’s here.” I picked up my diaper bag. I put her blanket over Jamie and tucked it around her. Kellan picked up the car seat. We walked down to the car to see my Mom standing by the car smiling.

“Oh look at you three.” I hugged her as she smiled at Jamie. “Come put her into the car. It’s cold out.” Kellan put the car seat in before helping me in as well. I buckled her in as Kellan got in next to me.

“We’re going home.” I kissed him before looking over Jamie and stroking her hand. “As a family.” I leaned my head on his should. Right now it felt like nothing could bring me down.