Chapter Twenty-Two

I hate to say this but....the story is almost over. There isn't much left...:(

Can we get 30 votes?

Enjoy <3

I walked into the hospital putting my hands in my pocket as they shook. “Right in here.” The nurse said softly to me as I walked slowly behind her. I was freezing as I thought of losing Kellan. He can’t die. He’s my Superman. Superman doesn’t die. “Can I get you anything, Sweetheart?” She asked as I sat down in the seat next to Kellan’s bed.

“No, thank you.” I whispered as I stared at Kellan’s lifeless body on the bed. We just got together and now I could lose him. My family was being torn apart, again. This couldn’t be happening. I knew there was always going to be a chance that he was going to be hurt, but I never thought it was going to happen. “Please wake up.” I whispered leaning my head on the bed. “Please.” I wiped my eyes on the bed as I cried softly. I heard a knock on the door. I looked over.

“Hey Sweetheart.” Will’s wife smiled weakly as me.

“Why are you here?” I asked wiping my eyes agian. She walked forward wrapping her arms around me.

“Will called me.” I looked up at her.

“What am I going to do?” I cried at her as I looked over at Kellan.

“Do you know what happened?” I nodded.

“The floor collapsed under him when he was in a house fire. He didn’t have the chance to run.” I rubbed at my eyes. “They got to pull him out of the rumble. Will said if it was a full basement, he wouldn’t have lived.” I put my head down as I cried. “He could have been gone.” She stroked my hair.

“I’m so sorry, Charlotte.” She pulled her sleeve out and wiped my eyes. “You need to be strong though. You need to be here when he wakes up smiling. Just like he was for you.” I nodded.

“I’m trying.”

“Oh baby, I know. You are the strongest woman I know. You can get through this. I am going to be here to help you no matter what.” She sighed. “You matter what happens.” I patted her hand. “How did your doctor’s appointment go?” Ava took a sip of her water bottle sitting down in the other chair in the room.

“I’m pregnant.” I blew my nose in tissue from the box on the nightstand. She turned her head spitting out the water making me giggle. “He would kill you if he was awake.” I smiled wiping the water off of Kellan’s blanket.

“You’re pregnant?” I nodded.

“I went to the Fire House to tell Kellan, but when I got there.” I shook my head. “Will drove me here telling me what happened.” I shrugged. “Now here I am. Waiting to see if he is going to wake up to hear he is going to be a Daddy again.”

“This wasn’t a planned pregnancy was it?” I shook my head.

“It probably was from when we first got together. I wasn’t that careful.” I gave her a sheepish smile. “It probably from the time in the bathtub or when we were in the basement. It could have been when we were at the fire house.” I bit my lip as Ava started to laugh.

“Oh, young love. I remember when we had our first baby.” She gave me a dreamy look. “The sex was great.” I wrinkled my nose.

“That’s like hearing about my mom’s sex life.” She winked.

“All of the wives have had sex at the fire house. Where in the house, well it’s always different.” I shook my head laughing at her. “I’ve had my share of fumbles in the pantry.” I leaned back in my chair. “Another baby.” She said leaning back in her chair across the room thoughtfully.

“I got scared at first but the doctor talked me down. I’m not ready for another baby.” I shrugged. “But I wasn’t ready for Jamie either.”

“And you are doing a great job with her. And you’ll do a great job with the new baby as well.” I sighed leaning my head on Kellan’s bed.

“I just wish he’d wake up.” She sighed.

“He will. He just needs to be ready.” I sighed picking up his hand holding it tightly in mine. He had to wake up. He just had to. He’s my superman, my superman. My superman can’t die….

****

“Come lay with Daddy.” I smiled down at Jamie as she sucked away on her hand. I put her next to Kellan. “Give Daddy a healing kiss, Baby.” I had taught Jamie how to lean forward and press her lips to the other person. She leaned forward and kissed her Daddy’s cheek. She snuggled up to him liked she always did and fell asleep leaning on his body. “Daddy had to wake up so he can put his little girl to sleep. She misses her Daddy.” I moved the hair out of his face trying not to look at the bandages that covered his torso.

“I miss you, Kellan.” I whispered kissing his forehead. “Come back to me.” I murmured against his head. “Please”

****

I walked into Kellan’s hospital room a couple days later curling up on his bedside pulling his arm around me. I laid my head on his chest and closed my eyes not able to keep them open any longer. I woke up later on in the day to the doctor gently rubbing my shoulder. “Charlotte.” I rubbed at my eyes to look at him. “You look terrible.” I blinked at him too tired to answer.

“I’m exhausted.” I pulled the blankets over myself.

“Let me take your temperature.” He put the thermometer in my mouth as I closed my eyes again. “You’re sick, Sweetheart.” I turned over in Kellan’s arm as the Doctor sighed. I heard rustling around me as I drifted back to sleep.  “Come on, sit up.” He pulled me up gently. “A quick pinch.” I felt him put the IV in my arm before I curled back up on my still unconscious boyfriend.

“Poor thing. She just can’t sleep. Her mother was right. She’s getting sick and now there is a baby to think about.” A nurse whispered to the doctor. “There has to be something we can do for her.”

“For right now, just let them be.” He sighed.  “The only thing we can do is wait.”

****

I woke up later rubbing my eyes to look out the window in the small hospital room we were in. I sighed. I have a terrible headache. I closed my eyes again. “That wasn’t the sigh of a happy woman.” A raspy voice whispered in my ear. I opened my eyes to look at those big copper eyes I’ve missed so much over the past couple days.

“You’re awake.” He smiled at me weakly.

“I’ve been up for a while now. How are you feeling?”  He reached his arm over to stroke my cheek.

“Better now that you’re up.” I smiled at him.

“The doctor said you weren’t doing too well.” The concern was clouding his eyes as he stared at me stroking the skin on my hairline.

“Don’t.” I put my hand to his stopping the movement. “Don’t worry about me. You need to worry about yourself for now.” He moved his hand from under mine and put his over it.

“I will always worry about you. Even on my death bed, I will worry about you.” His eyes searched mine. “It’s because I love you. I will always love you.” He leaned down wincing to kiss me. I pulled up stroking his cheek as I pressing my lips to his. “I really thought I wasn’t going to see you again.” He whispered when I pulled back. “I thought that was it. That was how I was going to die.” I shook my head putting my hand over his mouth.

“Please, don’t. I can’t. Please don’t talk like that.” He moved my head gently holding it in his.

“I made a promise, to whatever is out there.” He closed his eyes as if he was remembering being in the fire and hanging for his life. “I promised I’d be the best father I could be. I would be the best person I could be. I promised myself something though.” I swallowed and looked at him.

“What is that?” He took a deep breath. I could almost hear the in husky tone to his voice before he even said a word.

“I promised myself if I got out of there I would ask you to marry me.”

Don't forget to Vote, Comment, and Fan!!