Chapter Eight

Kellan helped me get off the table as the doctor held the door open for me.  “Nervous?” The doctor asked as I gripped onto Kellan’s hand tightly.

“You have no idea.” I took a deep breath as we got in. “I have to pee, badly.” I groaned as my daughter kicked at my bladder.

“We’ll be quick.” He said as Kellan helped me up to sit on the table. I pulled up my shirt. “Now let’s get a look at this little angel.” He put the gel on my stomach as the ultrasound machine booted up.

“How’s the pregnancy going?” He asked looking at me.

“I’m getting weaker by the day.” I sighed looking at the screen.

“She’ll be coming soon.” He picked up the wand to move it across my stomach. He moved it around as the baby come on the screen. “There she is.” He smiled at Kellan.

“Wow.” He whispered as she moved around. “Look at her.”

“Let me see if she’s developed enough.” He moved around as Kellan came to take my hand. He moved the wand and clicked at the buttons. I closed my eyes as I waited to hear what Dr. Holden had to say.

“It’s going to be okay.” Kellan whispered kissing my head as he felt my hand shake in his. “I promise.” I opened my eyes to look at him.  I couldn’t help as my lip quivered. He kissed me.

“All done.” Dr. Holden said printing out the pictures for my book.

“Well?” I asked clutching Kellan’s hand tightly in mine.

“You’re ready to have a baby.” He smiled handing me a tissue to wipe my stomach. I swallowed staring at him. “I’ll have you booked for a birth today. The soon we get her out, the better for you.” I nodded knowing he was right. I know I’m not healthy. I can feel it and I can see it.

“I don’t have my bag ready yet.” I muttered to him.

“It’s alright. I can book it for later on tonight, not now. Does 3 sound alright?” It’s 10 now so that leaves me 5 hours to get ready. I nodded at him. He smiled at me. “It’s going to be alright. Get going, I’ll see you then to induce your labor.” I shook his hand as he walked out.

“Come on; let’s go get that bag ready.” Kellan said quietly to me helping me down. I held his hand tightly in my mine as he helped me down to the car. “It’s going to be okay.” He whispered helping me in to the car. My lip wobbled as he closed the door walking over to the other side. “What’s scaring you, Baby?” He asked stroking my cheek.

“What if I’m not a good mother?” He blinked at me.

“Why would you ever think you’d be a bad Mom?” He asked raising his eyebrow. I shrugged as the tears formed in my eyes. “You’ll be an amazing mother Char. You are amazing with Kids. Come on, you’re amazing with Patrick. You’re just so good with them.” Patrick is Kellan’s older brother Oliver’s son. He’s about 4 now and I still remember when he was born. Littler bugger he is.

“You think I’ll be good?” I asked wiping my eyes with my sleeve. He nodded.

“Of course I think that. You stayed with Patch all through him being an infant. I mean none of us wanted to deal with a screaming baby at 3 in the morning with colic. But hell you did. I think Marissa could have gotten through that without you.” I took a deep breath. Kellan leaned over to kiss me. “Our daughter is luck to have you as a mommy.” He kissed my wet cheek. “I know I’m jealous she’s getting you.” I pushed back giggling at him.

“I’m hungry.” He smiled at me seeing I got over my hormonal nerves.

“What do you want?” I gave him a thoughtful look.

“Chinese food and soda.” I nodded as my stomach growled.

“It’s 10 o’clock in the morning.” He laughed pulling out of the parking lot.

“So? It’s lunch somewhere in the world.” I smiled rubbing at my pants. We found an open Chinese place and Kellan got me a soda. I leaned back on my chair yawning as we waited for our food.

“Tired baby?” He asked sitting down across from me.

“A little.” I sighed rubbing my bump. “I’m always tired.” Kellan sighed taking my hand in his.

“Just think. In a couple of hours we’ll be meeting our daughter.” I smiled at him.

“Our daughter.” I grinned at him. “Yeah.” They brought over our food, which I ate quickly slurping down my soda happily.

“Come on; let’s go get that bag ready.” Kellan smiled at me as I rubbed my belly happily. He paid for our food before helping me up.

“Have you thought of any names?” I asked him as we got into the car to drive back to my parents’ house.

“I haven’t really.” He shook his head. “I wasn’t sure what I’d name her.” I nodded. “Have you thought of any names?”

“I have thought of a couple.” He raised his eyebrows at me. “I have the list in her baby book. Just so she knew what her name could have been.”

“That’s a good idea.” He laughed pulling up to the house. “Have you decided on one?” I shook my head.

“I want to wait till I hold her in my arms before I name her.” I smiled at him as he helped me out of the car. I took off my hat as we walked into the front door of the house.

“Well?” Mom said walking into the front room look between the two of us.

“We’re going to have a baby today.” I smiled at her as she squealed hugging Kellan and me.

“Oh so much to do! I’ll get someone to cover for your father. I’ll drop the cubs off at Lindy’s.” She started to ramble walking back into the office excited. I shook my head laughing as Kellan took my upstairs. I sat down on the bed catching my breath.

“What are you going to need to bring?” Kellan asked stroking my hair.

“I’ll need my tooth brush, tooth paste, shampoo, conditioner, and my brush. Can you get it?” He kissed my head walking into the bathroom. I pulled out a couple outfits as Kellan walked back in.

“Where’s your bag?” I looked around eyes wide as the tears started to form.

“I don’t have one.” He put my stuff down grabbing his back pack taking everything out. “I’m just an idiot.”

“We’ll just use mine. It’s okay.” He wiped my eyes shoving my clothes in the bag. He kissed me. “It’s okay; it’s going to be okay.” He whispered.

“I’m scared.”

“Me too, but we can do this.” He held me close to him. “I know we can.” I nodded closing the bag.

“Come one Lanny, let’s go have a baby.” I smiled at him making him smile back.