Chapter Six

I sat down at the table as Mom handed me a glass of juice. “I’ve made spaghetti and meatballs.” I smiled as Dad put down some vegetables.

“You need to have a serving of them. I made them different this time.” He put a heaping on my plate as I stared at them in disgust.

“But Dad….” He shook his head turning to Kellan taking a deep breath.

“Kellan’s eating them too, right Kellan?” Kellan looked at the vegetables then at me.

“Spinach, artichokes, and collards? I’m eating them see, Charlie?” He took a forkful and ate it. “It’s not bad, I promise.” I picked up my fork as Mom sat down grabbing a plate of veggies too. It’s something my parents always did when me and my brother were kids. They always have us eat our veggies first so we have them together or we don’t get to eat dinner either. They were always sneaky too, making sure if we have to try something new they make our favorites. Worked every time. I ate them slowly chewing before swallowing.

“See not that bad, Lottie.” I gave him a look. “Okay, it’s for the baby. Think of it that way.”

“All of those are high in iron; now eat them before I start force feeding you liver and giblets.” She huffed eating her vegetables.

“What are giblets?” I asked her. Kellan cleared his throat.

“It’s the turkey’s insides. They have chickens too.” I stared at him wide eyed before looking at Mom. She had the ‘I’ll do it’ look. I shoved the rest of the greens into my mouth chewing them and swallowing them. I knew my mom would do it.

“All done.” Dad said putting a pile of spaghetti and meatballs on my plate before handing me the cheese. I could reach far as I could as my bump was in the way. “So Kellan, what are you planning to do?” Kellan looked up from putting cheese on his food.

“What do you mean, Sir?” He asked shocked.  

“I mean when the baby comes. You still work in California, don’t you?” He asked plopping a piece of meatball into his mouth.

“Yes Sir.” My parents have known him most of his life, but now they were acting like strangers. I do not like this. Not at all. “I haven’t thought about that yet.” He said honestly. I hate the tension in the air right now. I move my pasta around on my plate no longer wanting it.

“Well there is a baby on the way. You need to be ready to take care of them both if you plan to stay in their lives.” Dad said looking at him.

“I do plan on supporting them they are my family too now. I plan to take care of them.” I looked up as they glared at each other.

“Well you sure are doing a good job at it.” Dad snorted. “That’s why she was here and not with you?” I put my napkin and stood up leaving the room as I felt the tears forming in my eyes. I sat down on the top of the stairs putting my face into my hands.

“Look what you did!” Dad yelled at him.

“Oh would you shut up Elliot! You did this!” Mom huffed. “She doesn’t need this stress right now. She’s trying to keep that baby in as long as possible. Don’t you two dare make that happen any sooner. I’m protecting my baby. You both sit your asses down here and talk this out. Now.” She growled at them. I wiped my eyes as she walked up the stairs. “I told them off Baby. Come on, let’s get upstairs.” She helped me up from the step.

“I don’t want them to fight.” I whispered wiping my eyes roughly with the back of my hand.

“I know Lottie. Come on I will help you get into the shower.” I was having a lot of trouble with getting into the shower in my room. Mom always has to sit in on my showers as I had a fainting spell once and hit my head on the water knob and needed stitches. She freaked out and now she siting in just in case I need her. It helped when she made sure I didn’t hit my head again the other night when I fainted again.