xvii. RELATIONSHIPS ARE HARD

( november 4 )

( november 4 )

jacqueline waverly sat upon her bed, fully immersed in her book. as she flipped the page, the sound of her mother yelling startled her.
"jacqueline, ambrose! get down here immediately!" zelda spellman's voice boomed throughout the house.

jacqueline sighed and placed her book down—she didn't know if she and ambrose were in trouble for trying to get connor's familiar to speak or if zelda was just in a bad mood.
"what do you suppose it is today?" jacqueline looked up towards her cousin.

ambrose smiled at her question and shook his head, "your mother is always annoyed with something. let's just hope that its not us this time."

the two stepped down the stairs and entered the kitchen. hilda and zelda were stood, zelda with her arms crossed over her chest and hilda looking afraid of the storm that was brewing.
"your cousin has ruined this family! look at this!" zelda held up the paper.

jacqueline noticed that it looked a lot like the paper that they had received when she was the one put on trial. jacqueline shook her head in disagreement.
"mom, she's not trying to ruin our family. she's nervous and not ready to say goodbye to her friends just yet." jackie defended sabrina.

the spellmans heard the front door open and ambrose spoke up, "speak of the devil."

"aunt zelda? hilda? you're not gonna believe what happened at school today." sabrina called out and her voice sounded as if it were getting closer.

zelda rolled her eyes and shook her head.
"oh, we can imagine. do you know what this is? i'll tell you. it's an infernal summons." zelda was upset with her niece.

"a what now?" sabrina raised her eyebrows in question.
"well, you've been charged with a rather antiquated offense, dearest. breach of promise." hilda spoke softly towards her niece.

"you made a promise to sign the dark lord's book of the beast and then when you ran in horror from your dark baptism, you broke it! you humiliated our master in front of the entire coven, and now, you will be judged and tried in front of the entire coven," zelda exclaimed as ambrose and jacqueline watched. "never, in all my years, has a spellman been summoned to the court of witches." zelda finished.

"um, mother, i have." jackie spoke up from behind her mother. zelda turned to face her briefly.
"you are a waverly first, jacqueline." zelda commented before turning back towards sabrina.

"i don't understand. someone is suing me?" sabrina furrowed her eyebrows, glancing at her aunties.
"the dark lord. he's determined to get you on the path of night." hilda's tone became more quiet.