xii. SPARKS

( october 28 )

( october 28 )

jacqueline waited at the stairs, sitting on the third step. she had been waiting for the weird sisters to come. she knew that they'd walk past her sooner or later. her blue green eyes glanced up and saw them; the three girls walked side by side in their matching black dresses.

prudence in the middle, agatha and dorcas on either side of her. prudence spotted jacqueline first, surprised to see her. yet she didn't let the surprise show. agatha and dorcas were beginning to grow annoyed with nick's sassy girlfriend.

"i think you should get a map of the academy, julie," prudence knew jackie's name, but she wanted to come across as if she didn't know nor care. "or nicky should just get a leash for his watch dog." she teased.

jacqueline rolled her eyes and stood up. she walked over towards the weird sisters. they stopped in the tracks and waited for jacqueline's next move.
"it's jackie, and prudence, i don't know why you hate me so much. but i'm offering a truce, we can put all of this behind us," jackie held her hand out. prudence raised an eyebrow and looked down at it. agatha and dorcas had taken a defensive stance, their arms folded over their chest. "no boy should stand in the way of an opportunity for friendship." jacqueline kept her hand out.

a small smile settled onto prudence's face before she fought it off. she shook her head before speaking.
"i don't shake hands." she mentioned.

jackie sighed and kept the hand outstretched—she could stand there all day, waiting for prudence to shake her hand. prudence knew it too. the unkind witch sighed and rolled her eyes before stretching out her hand.

the girls grabbed hands, both feeling a tingle once their hands came in contact. jackie's blue-green eyes flickered up towards prudence's warm brown ones. goosebumps crawled from jackie's hand to her arm. jacqueline's breath hitched in her throat;
what was happening?

prudence snatched her hand out of jackie's, confused as to what it was that she felt.
"alright, we called our truce. let's go, sisters." prudence's gaze never left jacqueline's.

the weird sisters left jackie's presence and jackie felt like she could breathe again. she looked down at her hand before letting out a sigh.

jacqueline went to the only person that she was sure that she could tell about what had happened between her and prudence.

"does nicholas know about what happened?" ambrose glanced towards his cousin.

"no, not at all. should i tell him? i mean, it's no big deal." jacqueline responded.

she felt as if she was reading too much into the situation. however, jackie didn't think that she could tell nick because maybe he'd just brush it off. or perhaps he'd get ideas of blooming a romance with both prudence and jackie.

"if i had a girlfriend that experienced some kind of connection with someone else, i'd want her to tell me about it." ambrose offered and shrugged. jackie sighed, she had to tell nick about it.

"okay, i'll tell him. thanks ambrose." jacqueline stood from the seat and walked towards the doorway.

"just don't fall for the wicked witch, cous." ambrose called after his cousin.

"i'd never." jacqueline scoffed, shaking her head.

she'd never.

sorry if this chapter sucks,
i just spent three days doing
standardized testing and i had
to write essays on the most
boring topics in the world.