xi. UNREQUITED

( october 28 )

( october 28 )

to say that she was upset was an understatement. jacqueline's arms were folded over her chest and anyone could tell that she was angry from the expression on her face.

nicholas scratch walked down the steps, his eyes locking their gaze on his girlfriend. he could tell that she was upset and he sighed lightly. what did i do, he thought.

"hey jackie!" he smiled in attempts to cheer her up. jackie didn't even know how to start the conversation.
"your ex-girlfriends cursed my cousin." she snapped.

nick's eyebrows furrowed in confusion.
"what?" he asked. jackie's lack of a greeting threw him off, he wasn't used to her being angry.

"prudence, agatha, and dorcas! i was with sabrina this morning and she was summoning a familiar! they came and cursed her." jackie groaned, running her hands through her brown hair.
"they didn't curse you?" nick inquired. he knew that if they wanted to, the weird sisters would have cursed jacqueline too.

"no. nick, i don't know why they have such a vendetta against me, but th—"
"it's not about you, jackie. their problem is with sabrina. if they wanted to hurt you, they would have." nick responded.

jackie stared up at him, speechless. it wasn't about her, it was about them. they shouldn't be harming anyone.
"nick i don't care about that! can you just—" jackie took a long sigh as she stepped towards nick and wrapped her arms around his neck.
"talk to them?" she pressed a swift kiss to his lips.

nick's brown eyes stared down at his girlfriend. he nodded before kissing her again.
"for you, yes i can." he responded.

jackie placed the old and tattered spellbook back into the bookcase.
"what's on your mind, jay?" george waverly asked. his daughter had grown quiet while helping him rearrange his study.

when she was around him, she was usually a talkative one, but now, silence filled the room.
"have you ever dated someone that you were unsure of?" jacqueline asked, holding a burgundy hardback book in her hands.

george set down his box of books and raised an eyebrow.
"the whole time that i was with your mother." he answered with a nod.

jacqueline looked up from the book to her father. she was beginning to grow unsure of her relationship with nick.
"and how did you decide that she was worth it?" jacqueline had always been curious about the courtship of her parents.

"i—hm, i guess i just always knew. whenever she smiled or laughed, i just....i knew that i wanted to spend forever with her. but she didn't want that with me," george looked down. his relationship with zelda spellman was always a tricky one. "who has you feeling this way?" george looked back towards his daughter.

a part of jacqueline felt guilty, considering that she hadn't told her dad about her and nick.
"it's this guy—nick. we've been dating for almost a week and well, he has this ex," jackie told a small lie. "and she and her friends give me a little bit of a hard time. i just...i don't know what to do." she looked up and shrugged.

george offered a sympathetic smile. his daughter was never one to pursue relationships, so for her to be in this one must've meant a lot.

"i think that if he really means something to you, you'll stay with him. eventually, his ex will grow tired of the rivalry and she'll move on." george picked up a stack of books out of his box.

jacqueline waverly looked down at the book in her hand—she knew what she had to do.