Chapter Thirteen

Levi’s Pov

Sophie looks up worried, “Apparently he’s going to have to get a tonsillectomy, tomorrow.” She sounds drained but very relieved. Benji was still clinging to her, whimpering a bit. 

On impulse Levi reaches out and gently places a hand on Benji’s head. The small child looks over at him with teary eyes, “Hey don’t cry, men don’t cry.” He ruffles his hair, “You have to be strong. Don’t worry we’re going to get this taken care of.” 

“Pwomise?” He croaks out. 

Levi gives him as comforting a smile as possible, though he’s not sure if he’s doing it right, “Yeah.” 

Benji lays his head back down on Sophie’s shoulder and she hugs him to her a bit tighter. Levi was fairly relieved to hear it was something like getting his tonsils removed. That was a lot better than some of the thoughts that had gone through his head. Not to mention he would be well taken care of with doctors here who were equipped to deal with this sort of problem. 

“Sophie, let’s go.” Levi finally says, his hand resting on her knee. 

She looks over at him, drained, but nods, “Okay, that sounds good.” She stands up and bids Doctor Pim farewell for the day. 

Levi stays close to the two of them, practically hovering as he guides them out of the room. Unfortunately a whole menagerie of people awaited them outside. Hanji, Erwin, Mike, Eren, Mikasa, Jean, Marco, and even Flagon were all there. At the sight of them Hanji and Erwin immediately step up. 

“Oh my gosh is he okay?!” Hanji yells. 

“Sophie I want to tell you that I will make this paid-leave until you’re able to come back to work. I want you to focus on your son’s health.” Erwin adds in. 

Sophie looks like she’s about to start crying again so Levi jumps in, “Oi Erwin, shitty glasses, back up. The kid has to get a tonsillectomy tomorrow and beyond that he should be fine.” 

Everyone looks relieved at the news. Benji starts squirming in Sophie’s arms and Levi urges her forward, brushing past everyone. Bundling the two into his car Levi starts toward the closest place, which happened to his this time. Sophie was humming a lullaby to Benji, who looked like he was finally nodding off. “Do you mind if we just go to my place for the night?” Levi finally asks. 

Sophie shakes her head, “No, I don’t mind.” 

He heads the car off in the direction of his apartment building. It doesn’t take them long to get there. Levi holds out a hand to help Sophie and Benji out of the car. Once they’re out he locks his car and winds an arm around Sophie’s shoulder. Tipping the doorman like usual Levi ignores the questioning look and instead huddles the two into the elevator. 

It doesn’t take long to get into his apartment. Levi shows the two to the couch and starts to rummage through his kitchen to see what there was for Benji to eat. He remembered when his brother needed his tonsils out. The brat ate nothing but ice cream and popsicles for nearly a month.  It was also the same when Levi was a child and having to get his tonsils out. However unlike his brother, after all of the sweet things Levi was fed up with it and developed a dislike for anything sweet, hence why he didn’t have anything now. 

“I’m going to step out for some groceries, do you need me to stay or will it be fine if I go?” He inwardly scowls at how the words seem to tumble awkwardly out of his mouth. He’s really not used to this sort of thing.