Chapter Seven

Sophie’s Pov

Coming back into work was painful. Having Friday off and then going and having the weekend as well was nice. Getting up at seven o’ clock even again was just painful. Tossing my hair up into a bun I scoop up Benji and then start walking to take him to daycare and then go to work. The morning air was frigid. I went rigid as soon as I stepped out of the door. Pulling Benji’s heavy coat closer to him I hug him tight to my chest. Hopefully I can make it a quick walk and then try not to freeze my ass off in the ten minute walk it takes to get to work.

Pulling up my scarf over my mouth I set a quick pace. My feet were so cold that every footstep physically hurt, this was gonna be a hellish day. However a silver Impala pulls up and parks next to the sidewalk where I am. The window rolls down to show Levi, “Get in, I’ll drive you.” He calls.

I want to refuse his offer but it was cold and he was making the effort to be nice. Besides, I don’t want Benji getting sick. Quickly walking over to his car I slid into the front passenger’s seat. The windows roll up and Levi puts the car in drive. I sigh at the heat blasting from the air vents, this was nice. Buckling up I lean back in the seat with Benji in my lap.

“Thank you Levi.” I say.

“Mhm.” His keeps his eyes focused on the road only speaking periodically to ask where to turn.

We get to the daycare parking lot and I get out to go take Benji inside. “Bye Leevee!” Benji waves to Levi and I laugh at the man’s surprised face.

“Mama Leevee, drive.”

“Yes Levi did drive us. He’s being very nice isn’t he?”

“Leevee nice, mean little.”

I nod, “Yeah I know, he is really nice when you get down to it. I’d say he’s just grumpy sometimes. Still, I’ll keep my reservations.” I pull the door open and step into the daycare.

Immediately the smell of paint and children hit my nose. I scrunch my face at the scent like every day I step into here but patiently wait at the front desk. It’s only a few seconds later that Bertolt comes into the room with a shocked look on his face, “Sophie! You’re early this morning.”

I nod, “Yeah, Levi gave Benji and I a ride on the way here.”

“Oh, okay. Well, you know what to do.” He smiles as he takes a squirming Benji from my arms.

I nod, “Thanks again Bertl-turtle. I’ll see you later.”

Giving Benji one last kiss good-bye I head back out into the cold toward Levi’s car. It only takes a few seconds to get to Levi’s car but I’m frozen by the time I get into it. Said owner of the car gives me a look before putting the car in drive and speeding off toward work. I rub my hands and sit closer to the vents in order to warm up but I’m still freezing.

“You’ll get blisters if you sit any closer to that.” Levi flicks on his blinker to get into the left lane.

I shuffle closer, “I’ll deal with that l-later. R-right now this is w-worth it.”

“Tch, how can you be so cold? You’re already wearing two heavy jackets.”

“I g-grew up in F-Florida! We used to have w-ww-winters of seventy degrees and up! Mr. ‘I live in France where it’s sub-zero all the time’.”

Levi shakes his head as we reach work. We hurry out of his car into the building and I feel like I’m absolutely about to die. Why did I move to Hartford again? We get into the elevator and I’m shaking so bad that I can’t press the button for our floor. Levi clicks his tongue as he jams his thumb on the button. The doors slide closed and he grabs my hands with his own; they’re really warm. I blush at what would be considered a romantic gesture. If Levi were anyone else then I would think they were making a move on me.