Chapter One

Sophia’s (Sophie’s) Pov

I sigh as I head on towards work. It’ll be the first time in a year that I’ll be coming back into the office. That’s the good thing I guess about being a journalist writer is that when I became pregnant and had to stay home with my son Mr.Smith was more than happy to allow me to send my work in via email so I could still work and earn money while being able to stay home. Still, I couldn’t stay home forever and now that I got Benjamin to a daycare I was nearly late.

Hurrying up I enter into the office out of breath. The walk took a lot out of me since I was hurrying from the daycare. The first order of business however would be to go and see Mr.Smith since he said there were a few changes to the office that he would have to inform me of. Waving to our receptionist Christa Lenz, she gives me a big smile and enthusiastic wave, as I go on by. getting into the elevator I attempt to calm my racing heart. I’m worried about if Benjamin is okay because this is the first time I’d really been away from him for a length of time. Also I’m pretty worried about what changes have come. 

Exiting out of the elevator as it opened on the top floor I walk the ten feet down to the office there. Tentatively lifting my hand up I knock on the door. The sound reminds me of a gunshot with how loud it sounds to me. Then silence, did I catch him out of his office?

“Come in.” Is the muffled reply.

I open up the door and try to steady my shaking hands. Mr.Smith is sitting there behind his desk with a gentle smile on his face, “Welcome back Sophie, how are you feeling?”

I smile as best I can, “Okay, a little worried about my son but I’m sure he’ll be fine. What are the changes you wanted to talk with me about?” 

“We’ve added a few more workers since you were here. Of course all of the old workers are still here but because of the surplus of new employees we had to move your office up on the second floor. That’s not a problem is it?”

 “No, of course not. I’ll be happy wherever my office is. Though I will need to be shown where it is.”

“Certainly, also you are going to have a co-superior I guess you can say. He had been filling in your position while you were away and I don’t believe it’s fair to demote either of you. So both of you will share this position. That won’t be a problem either will it? I assure you that you will have you own office still.” 

“No, I don’t have a problem with it. If you don’t mind me asking, who is it?”

“His name is Levi Ak-Rivaille. He came to work here about a day after you left. I will warn you though that he can be a little… abrasive in the beginning. I’m sure you can get him to at least be friendly with you, after all I doubt anyone could really dislike you.” 

I blush at his words, “I hope you’re right. It wouldn’t be good to not get along with my co-worker.”

“Well… I think that’s about it so I’ll show you to your office now.”

 We both stand up, “Okay, thank you again Mr.Smith, for everything.”

“Please just Erwin, you’ve been working here long enough that I think we can get rid of the formalities.”

 “O-oh, okay.”

We exit his office and I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t nervous and twitchy. I mean I’m having my boss escort me to my new office and I have a new co-worker sharing my position who is know to not be so… nice. 

It takes us a few minutes but we make it to the second floor. It’s an open floor plan with a lot of glass and cubicles. There are two offices at the opposite end of the floor separated by only a single wall. Both have an all glass front to allow them to look out at the employees on this floor and vice versa. The office on the left was already occupied. There was a guy with short, straight black hair styled in an undercut and sharp, intimidating grey eyes. A perpetual frown was plastered on his face but his expression is calm. He’s dressed in a crisp dress shirt, a nice jacket and black slacks. A tie is around his neck and he has a pair of reading glasses perched on his nose as he looks on his computer.