Chapter Thirteen [Short]

A/N: I'm so sorry that it's been almost three months since I uploaded but I was on vacation for three weeks then I went away with my friend for I week, then away with my family for one week, then I went away again. Plus, I had MAJOR writer's block (I kinda still do, but it's better). Anyways, I FINALLY uploaded but it's wicked short and a piece of crap (I wanted to upload ASAP). Anyways here it is...

            A tear ran down my cheek and I wiped it away quickly, but not before he saw it. “What’s wrong?”

          “I- I...” I tried but the words wouldn’t come out. “I- n-need s-someone I c-c-can t-trust.”

          “What’s wrong?” He repeated in a softer tone.

          “Can I come in?” I’m able to speak again.

          He nodded and stepped out of the way. “Yeah.” He led me to the couch and we both sat. “What’s wrong.” He said once again.

          “Uh... it’s a long story.” I said.

          “Well,” He said trying to lighten the mood. “I can get you a blanket because you look like your freezing. Then, we sit down and you can tell me what happened over a cup of hot chocolate.”

          I smiled, “Okay.”

          He grabbed me a blanket and made us some hot chocolate and I started from the beginning. It was only us in the house. His father died in war when he was young and his alcoholic of a mother left him on one of her ‘breaks’.  An hour or so later, I finish, “And I sort of just freaked out and ran out the front door. I needed somewhere to go so I came here.”

          “Oh my god.” Charlie said. Somehow we ended up sitting together under the blanket with me head in the crook of his neck and his arms around me. “I never thought Danny as someone who’d do that.”

          “Yeah,” I yawned and my heavy eyelids closed. Against every protest I gave, they wouldn’t open again. I felt him lean down and kiss the top of my head. His soft warm hand stroked my cheek and I drifted into a deep sleep.

          The next morning, I woke up in Charlie’s bed, confused. How’d I get here? Where’s Charlie? I stumbled out the door and down the stairs. I get to the living room and see someone sleeping on the couch. I tiptoe over and realize it’s Charlie.

          I smile at his peaceful face. I almost want to stroke his short brown hair but I stop myself. Don’t you dare. I say to myself. Do not let this happen again.

          My phone rings and I step outside on the porch to answer it. “Hello?”

          “Where’d you go? I just needed to know you’re safe.” Danny said.

          I hang up.

          My phone rang about five more times before I just shut it off completely. My aunt was right. All he wanted was sex. But why’d he go through all the trouble of fooling me into giving him what he wants when he has all those girls throwing themselves at him? All of a sudden I realize something and a tear falls from eye.

          “Ari?” Charlie steps out from the sliding glass door. “Are you okay?”

          “I thought he was my best friend... he lied to me. He told me that I’m different than those girls that he’s been with. He told me that they were all sluts and they only wanted him for sex. He played me, just like he played all of them.” I wipe a tear from the corner of my eye.

          He pulls me into his arms and gives me a hug “Ari,” He whispers into my ear. “Would you believe me if I said that I won’t let anyone hurt you anymore?”

          I look up at him and before I realize it, our lips have met and I pulled away just as quickly.

          I stare into his hazel eyes and a smile tugs at the corner of my mouth. He’s beautiful, I think, how have I never notice him this way before?

          “Ari... can I tell you something?” He looks down at me. I snap out of it and nod slowly still staring into his eyes with wonder. “Ari, I... I have... liked you since we were twelve.”

          My face turns red and I wish I could say the same, but instead I wrap my arms around his neck and pull him down to my lips. He doesn’t hesitate, he kisses me back immediately. Somehow, this boy, whom I’ve known for years and never noticed until now, made all my problems go away with just one kiss.