Chapter Seven

“So, what really happened?” Kylee asked when we got to her house. We usually slept on her bedroom floor.

          “Uh… I just got into a fight with my aunt… no big deal…”

          “No big deal? You wouldn’t have stormed out of the house if it was ‘no big deal’… seriously what happened?” She put her hands to her head. “My head is killing me!”

          I laughed at her face which was twisted with pain, “Fine… my aunt thinks I’m a loser.”

          She sighed, “Ari, you aren’t a loser… you are awesome… it’s just… no one is cool enough to get to know you…”

          I attempted a smile, “Thanks, Kylee.” I gave her a hug.

Monday

          “Jasen? Can I have a ride today?” I asked my brother.

          He rolled his eyes, “Fine… but just remember, Chris is riding with me too.” He looked up from his toast.

          I sighed and went back up stairs. I collapsed on my bed and stared at my ceiling for, I don’t know how long. I had tried to call Danny all weekend but he kept avoiding me. Eventually Jasen called, “I’m leaving in ten minutes! Hurry up!”

          I sat up and walked over to my closet. With a quick glance up the stairs I closed the door that led to the attic. When I was finished getting ready, I slid into the backseat of Jasen’s car and we drove away.     

          I had to sit in the back because Chris sat in the passenger’s seat. We stopped in front of Chris’s house and Jasen tapped the wheel as we waited, which got very annoying very quick. I just sat and watched the rain on the windshield, tuning it out.

          “Hey, what’s up, mate?” Chris said jumping into the passenger seat. He threw his bag in the back and it landed on my lap.     

          With a roll of my eyes, I pushed it onto the floor. “Jasen, can you tell your friend to look where he throws his things?”

          Chris jumped and looked at me in the mirror, “Who are you?”

          I crossed my arms and sat back, letting out a huge sigh. Jasen laughed, “Dude, she’s my sister Ari, she’s only rode with us a gazillion times…”

          “Oh, yeah… you were that girl in primary school who no one knew the name of… so it’s Ari?”

          “Arielle.” I did not want this oaf thinking he could call me Ari, only friends and family could… then again, only friends and family knew who I was. “My name is Arielle.”

          “Sorry, Arielle.” He said in a mocking tone.

          Jasen glared at him, “Not cool man.”

          “Sorry.” Chris sat back in his seat.

          I was silent for the whole ride.

          When we got to school, I got out of the car without a word and walked through the crowd of people surrounding the front door.

          Pulling on the silver handle, I opened the door and stepped inside the building, where the hallways were deserted. Everyone stayed outside until they were almost late, some even after that.

          I twisted the dial on my locker and pulled it open. I grabbed my books for my first class and headed to the library.

          I settled in my usual chair and opened my book. I read a few words until a hand covered my page and pushed my book down, revealing Danny’s face.