Chapter Three

I know it’s short... it’s kind of a filler chapter just to tell important expository information.

                                                                                 ♥LovelyAwkwardness

Ten Years Earlier

“Sweetie,” My mum said softly to me. “Everything is going to be okay.” She tried to smile but her tears masked even the slightest bit of happiness she faked.

“Mummy? Where is Daddy?” I looked up into her eyes.

Even more tears fell from her eyes, “Da-Daddy... went away on vacation.”

“When is he coming back?” Jasen asked.

“I don't know, baby.” She said and pulled us both into hugs. I didn’t know it at the time, but my dad had left us for another woman. “I don't know...”

“Why are you crying?” I pulled myself onto her lap. My so called ‘Dad’ ran away with another woman to America.

She looked away, “I’m not crying, honey, Mummy has something in her eye.”

Six Months Later

“What do you mean you don't know, Richard?” My mum yelled into the phone. Jasen and I eavesdropped around the corner. “Either you're in their lives or not!”

We still didn’t know but my father filed for divorce that morning. After he left, my mum did too. Well, mentally. She started working later, and on the days she didn’t work, she stayed in bed all day. It finally got to the point where my grandmother had to come live with us to take care of Jasen and me.

Tears prickled her eyes and she ran her fingers through her hair, “Okay... I guess you don't feel obliged to take care of your children... have a nice life, Richard.” She slammed the phone down on the counter and buried her face in her hands.

“Mummy?” Jasen said as he walked into the kitchen, pulling me behind him. “Where’s Daddy?

She knelt before us and put her hands on our shoulders, “Your Daddy isn’t coming home...”

“Why not?” I wailed. Keep in mind, I was only five.

“Daddy just needs time to come to his senses...” She attempted a smile. “As soon as he does, I’m sure he will come crawling back to be with you two... now Mummy is going to go to bed... your grandmother is in the living room.”

The Next Week

It was my first day of school. Ever. And my mother didn’t even bother to get up. My Nana had to bring me.

“I don't want to go...” I held on to her leg. “I want to stay with you.” She started becoming more of a mother to us than our own mum.

“You're going to be fine, sweetie. Jasen will look out for you. Right, Jasen?” She looked to him.

“Okay...” The seven year old sighed.

She put my hand in his, “Now, go and I promise you’ll have an awesome time.”

When Jasen dropped me off at my class, I was escorted to a table with a just one kid sitting at it. A boy.

The teacher made me sit next to him, “Why don't you two make friends?” She walked away with a huge smile.

He looked at me, “What’s your name?”

“Arielle. What’s yours?”

“Danny.” He said handing me a crayon, “Do you want to colour?”

I nodded and took the crayon. The story of how I met Danny.