Chapter Six

“I heard you were having a party tonight.” Melinda said to Jasen with a smile.

          Jasen stumbled over his words, “Uh… I wouldn’t call it a party… uh… no… well…”

          “Don’t worry, I won’t tell your mum on you.” She sighed. “But, I have to be able to stay to make sure that there is no alcohol involved. As long as I don’t find any, this will be our secret. And please don’t trash the house, I will be the one who will have to explain how I didn’t tell her about your party.”

          “Okay,” He said with a shrug. “Just don’t tell mum.”

          “Do you know if Danny is coming?” I asked from behind my book.

“Probably, I mean, the whole school is coming. Except you, who never sticks around. Where do you go anyway?”

          I shrugged, “The library. But most of the time I lock myself in the attic and read. I usually end up falling asleep.”

          “You have an attic? And more importantly, you sleep in it?” Melinda said with shock.

          “It’s finished. It’s going to be a guest room but for some strange reason, the stairs are in the back of my closet and mum hasn’t hired someone to build a new set of stairs in the corridor.”

          “Ah,” She said and leaned back in the kitchen chair.

          “When is the party?” I put my book down on the table.

          Jasen gave me a weird look, “Why?”

          “So, I can go upstairs…” I shrugged.

          With a quick movement, he looked at his watch and his arm was back down again, “An hour.”

An Hour Later

          I quietly dismissed myself upstairs when the doorbell rang. I climbed the stairs two at a time until I reached the top. I went into my room, locking the door behind me. Over at my bookshelf, I picked out three of my many novels.

          I opened my walk-in closet and opened the door that led to the carpeted attic stairs. My mum couldn’t wait to decorate the future guest room so it was completely furnished with a bed, a desk, a bureau, and other things, before the stairs were even built. . It even had a bathroom. But it was quite cramped. I slept up here on occasion. I would read and most of the time I’d fall asleep.

          I turned on the bed side lamp and plopped down on the already made bed. Opening one of my books, I began to read as the noise downstairs grew much louder. And louder. And louder.

Two Hours Later