Chapter Two [Short]

Chapter Two

     “Ari… wake up sweetie.” I heard someone say. I felt soft hands stroke my hair and pat my cheek.

     I tried to open my eyelids but they felt so heavy. I tried again. Fail. I tried one last time and succeeded. I slowly lifted my eyelids to find my mum hovering above me. Her blue eyes always seemed like they would stay forever young. But the bags under them contradicted that theory.

     “Ari… are you okay? How long have you been asleep?” She said as I sat up slowly and rubbed my eyes.

     “I don’t know; what time is it?”

     “Just past six,” She said softly.

     I looked at the clock next to my bed and my eyes widened, “I slept for five hours?!”

     “Apparently… are you feeling alright?”

     “Yeah, I guess I was just tired.” I swung my legs over the side of my bed and rested my bare feet on the cold wood floor. The feeling sent chills up my spine.

     “So,” My mum said all the kindness in her voice fading. “Who was over today?”

     “Uh… Kylee, Danny, and Charlie, why?” I ran my fingers through my hair.

     “Well… you know how we have that security camera?” She said and my heart skipped a beat. “Well… it caught something… very interesting…” She looked at me.

     “And what is that?” I said standing up.

     “Uh… well…” She struggled. “Uh… it caught you kissing someone…”

     “What?” I said trying to put on a surprised face. “Me? Uh, no.”

     She shook her head, “I saw your face… but I didn’t see the boy’s… was it Charlie or Danny?”

     Wow… my mum is really dumb… I thought. Danny is like a head taller than Charlie… and she’s only seen them both like a million times. “Neither…” I looked up into my mother’s face and everything else melted away so I only saw her face. All of a sudden it morphed into something else. Someone else.

     I couldn’t tell who until it finished morphing and I could see my room again. Now, Danny was sitting in front of me. “Hey, what are you staring at?”

     “What?” I snapped out of my daze. “What just happened?”

     “What are you talking about, babe?” He said putting down the text book and pencil that was in his hands. We must be studying. I thought as his hands went up to the side of my face, pulling me into a kiss. He pressed his lips against mine but I couldn’t feel anything. This was when I realized I was dreaming. A little late, I know.

     I sit up in my bed suddenly. I look wearily at my clock. Three A.M.? God... I slept for fourteen hours? I notice that my phone is flashing. I pick it up and see I have a call from Danny. This must’ve woken me up.  I thought and threw the phone down in front of me. He called once more and I threw my phone across the room onto my bean bag not wanting to talk to him.

     I carefully get up off my bed trying not to make a sound. I quietly sneak downstairs and into my mum’s office trying not to set off the alarm my mum sets when she’s away for the night. I turn on the desk lamp and sat at the desk. I carefully opened her laptop and saw the lock screen. I was trying to think of what the passcode was. Her birthday? I typed it in. No. Her middle name? No. Her favourite number? No. The dogs’ names? Yes. Oh god mum…

     I clicked on the icon that said Security System and it opened. I clicked on camera and looked through the tape from earlier that day. I found the video of Danny and I and immediately deleted. Then, I spent another ten minutes making sure it was completely gone.

     Why did I do this?  I thought as I lay back onto my bed upstairs. I didn’t dare turn my light on cause if the alarm went off and my mum knew I’m awake, I’d be dead. How did I let it happen? It will never be the same between us… I will lose my best friend over some kiss that meant nothing… well not nothing…

     My phone lit up through the darkness across my room. I finally got annoyed and got up to answer it. “Hello?” I whispered.

     “I’ve called fifteen times.” He said.

     “It’s three A.M.” I groaned.

     He chuckled slightly before his tone became serious again, “We need to talk.”

     “Again,” I said getting annoyed. “It’s three A.M.”

     “Open your window.” He said.

     “What?” I went over to my window and opened it but I couldn’t see anything. All I could see was darkness. All of a sudden Danny appeared in the tree next to my window. “What are you doing here?”

     “Like I said,” He shifted his weight. “We need to talk.”

     I motioned for him to come in and he stepped though my window. He started to speak but I shushed him, “Shhh, my mum has an alarm that is noise and light activated. Don’t talk too loudly.”

     “We need to talk about today.”

     “I’m trying to forget.” I sat on my bed.

     He sat next to me, “How can you forget? It was… it was… perfect.” He moved a piece of my hair behind my ear. I looked down but he tilted my chin up towards him. “You are perfect.”

“Uh…” I tried to speak but he pressed his lips against mine and my mind officially disappeared.  I kissed him back and he pulled me towards him so I was closer. I got on my knees straddling his lap and continued kissing him. I pulled his and my shirt off and he lay back on my bed so that I was on top of him. He kisses me again quickly but I pull away.

The gentle half-smile that tugs on the side of his face lures me in again, until our noses touch. He swings me around so I'm under him. He studies me for a minute then his eyes shine and I wonder what he's thinking. He half stood up so he was standing over me. He pulled his lips away from mine. He gave me a teasing smirk and put his lips back to mine.

His lips traced over my skin, my cheeks, my lips. When he finally came up for air, I could feel his cool fingers on my back and the shiver comes again. He pulled away and a little breath escaped his lips which made me smile. He's staring at me with a sort of disbelief and want that I've never seen before.

We kissed passionately, I not letting my lips pull apart from his. His lips pressed hard against my face, his hands feeling up to my bra.

I'm loving him, I'm needing him, wanting more, not able to get enough. He lifts me and I wrap my legs around him, pulling closer and up into a sitting position so that I was straddling his waist, our lips yet to be disconnected.