Howl

Twenty Years Later...

Leah finished visiting her grandmother's grave, Isla, who died ten years ago from old age. Leah now lives in the village where her grandmother lived. She could not return home to the States and did not want to. Her parents were initially angry, but when they visited her all those years ago, they respected her decision. She would visit her family in the States occasionally but felt that she never belonged there. As Leah got out of the village cemetery, a young man was 5′8, with light skin, slicked-back dark hair, and light eyes.

 As Leah got out of the village cemetery, a young man was 5′8, with light skin, slicked-back dark hair, and light eyes

"Numa, how long were you waiting for me?"

The young man smiled while looking at his mother. "Not too long; I couldn't nap from my long journey. I sensed that you were here." Numa got accepted to the University of Cambridge in Great Britain and studied Education with a major in ancient history. He arrived back home to visit his mother, Leah.

Numa paused for a couple of seconds and took out an urn. "Are you sure that you are ready now? To let Dad go?" Leah nodded; she and her son began walking away from the village deep into the forest. She looked at her son; he looked so much like Romulus. Then, the memory of the day when Remus came. 

Remus was about to kill her, but Romulus pushed her out of the way, and Romulus stabbed Remus with a silver weapon. However, as for retaliation, Remus' wolf bit parts of Romulus's shoulder off, puncturing Romulus's heart and lungs.

Romulus died instantly. As for Remus, he died of the silver, which was poisonous for werewolves. The elders arrived in the village about a day later when they found Remus missing. They knew he had gone to find Leah. They were right and saw Remus and Romulus dead. They assisted her in creating Romulus' body and gave her his ashes. The elders took Remus' body back and promised to leave Leah in peace. Leah never saw or heard from the werewolves again. Two months after Romulus' death, she discovered she was pregnant. It broke her heart that Romulus had never known he would be a father.

When Numa turned eight, she was shocked that he had shifted into a werewolf. When she and Romulus made love, he was still a werewolf before the elders turned him into a human, and Numa inherited his father's werewolf traits. Raising him was hard, but Leah told him his lineage and the truth. He understood and kept his identity a secret but would take runs in his spare time.

Mother and son climbed a rocky mountain, and Numa handed his mother the urn. Leah decided to cremate Romulus and did not want him buried in one place. Leah wanted him to roam free. It took her a while to decide to free his ashes. She knew he would have wanted her to move on.

The sun was going down, and it was time.

She opened the urn and got a hold of the ash. "Goodbye, my love. May you always roam free, and I will be with you soon. I promise." She let the ashes go with the wind and threw the rest. The wind was strong, and the ashes flew high into the air. Leah felt tears fall from her eyes. She let him go. Leah had his ashes for so long, but she knew the day would come. Mother and son hugged. "It's time we go home," she said.

"You go ahead, Mom. I am going to let my wolf free for a bit."

Leah nodded, climbed the small mountain, and walked to her village home.

The night turned into night, and the full moon came into view. On the tip of the mountain, Numa changed into his light gray wolf form. His wolf watched as his father's ashes flowed with the wind before the full moon.

Numa howled by the full moon as his father's ashes flew away.