chapter 28

(a/n may or may not b a short af chapter im sorry if it is lol)

6 years later...

"dad! milo took my shoe!"

"milo, give thomas back his shoe."

"but its funny."

"no its not, give him back his shoe."

"okay fine."

clementine is at the doctor's right now, since she wasn't feeling very well for the past week. so i'm stuck at home with the boys.

later that day, I got a phone call from clementine.

"clem?"

"hey calum, bring the boys over here please. you come too."

"why? what's wrong?"

"everything."

I got the boys and rushed to the doctor as fast as I could.

once we got there, they told me what room she was in.

I rushed in, and she was just lying there, attached to one of those things.

"hey boys."

"mom, you okay?"

"not really, milo."

"what's wrong babe?"

"oh hello, I see you told your family to come."

"yeah."

she was pale, and when I grabbed her hand it was light as a feather.

"so, did she tell you?"

"tell me what?"

"um, doc, can you take my boys out for a minute while I talk to calum?"

"sure. come on boys."

I waited until the boys left the room.

"whats wrong?"

"i'm dying calum."

my heart, shattered.

"w-what? you're only 26!"

"I didn't know until today. when I got to the doctor's, I went to the restroom and coughed up a ton of blood."

"why?"

"my lungs, they're weak. i've had lung cancer for the past month and I didn't even know it."

"how?"

"I don't know calum, all I know is that i'm dying. there's no way i'm going to live longer than tomorrow."

"don't, don't say that c-clementine."

"i'm sorry calum."

I was bawling at that point. she was too, why wouldn't she be?

"calum?"

"yes?"

"i'm s-sorry. i'm sorry for everything i've done to you. you've loved me for so long, and I didn't even know it. how couldn't I know it? i'm sorry, if I would've found out sooner, who knows where we would've been by now. i'm really sorry for putting you through at that."

"clementine-"

"no, calum. if you're going to say it's okay, its not. i'm so sorry calum. I just wanted to say thank you so much."

"clementine, save you're breathe. all that's important to me now is that you're in love with me now. tell me you are and all is forgiven."

"i'm-i'm in love with you calum hood. I love you more than kurt cobain loved courtney love, more than forrest gump loved jenny, more than johnny cash loved june. I love you more, than sid loved nancy! calum, fuck everyone else, you are the only one, i'm in love with. i'll always and forever only be in love with you. you."

"you have no idea, how long i've waited to hear those words. 12 years. I love you, so fucking much, clementine."

"you should take the boys home, I have enough strength to wait until you come back."

"are you sure?"

"yes, bring them in here so I can say bye first."

I brought the kids inside.

"mommy?"

"yes thomas?"

"are you okay?"

"no baby, i'm not."

she took one look and then and teared up.

"mommy's going somewhere for a long time. you'll see me again soon, when you're alot older than I was."

"when are you coming back mom?"

"i'm not, baby. i'm sorry."

"mommy, you have to come back!"

"thomas, you idiot! she's not coming back! she's going to be dead!"

milo whacked his brother's head and ran out of the hospital room. i chased after him while thomas stayed in clem's arms.

"milo get back here!"

i probably chased him down 2 floors, and when we stopped running, we were gasping for air, and milo was crying.

"milo, what's wrong with you?"

"I-i don't want her to leave me. i don't want her to die. she's my mom, I need her!"

"milo, buddy, we all need her. but she can't be here anymore, i'm sorry."

"you're not leaving too are you?"

"no, buddy, i'm staying here."

"good, because if you leave too then I don't know what I'd do."

we collapsed onto the floor and cried.

"okay buddy, ready to say bye to mom?"

"no. but I have to."

"you're mom doesn't want you to be sad, okay? she wants you to grow up to be a very very happy child, okay?"

"okay."

we walked back into the hospital room. clementine was crying and thomas was too.

"time to go boys."

"bye mommy. i'll love you always."

"i'll love you too, thomas. remember, if you need anything, just look up and i'll be there."

"bye mom."

"bye baby. I love you, and I always will, you know that right?"

"yes mom. I love you so much."

"I love you more."

they let go of her and she looked at them one last time. they waved bye, and she smiled and waved back.

"i'll be back."

"okay."

and I took them to my mum's house.

when I came back, she was paler.

"calum?"

"yeah?"

"i'm feeling weaker."

"no, clementine, no not yet."

"i'm sorry..."

"clementine, don't go on me."

"calum, just know this. whenever you miss me, don't. move on, continue to be happy. don't let me hold- *chokes up* -you back..just know, i'll love you forever."

"clementine, please."

"I love you, I hope you know that."

"I love you too."

and her eyes closed...and she was gone.