A New Gift

*This chapter happened three months after the previous one.

~~O~~

Being observant, Tauriel has always been aware of what was happening around her. Today, a small group of their kin was permitted by Thranduil to travel to Ithilien as a response for King Elessar's request of restoring the place. Legolas, on the other hand, allowed to leave with a second group once they received the reports from the first party.

As Tauriel assisted the group while gathering the things that they will be needing for the travel, she could not help but stare at the young queen. She listened while Calen was telling her the orders of her husband. However, Tauriel stared even more; not because she wanted to hear their conversation. It is because Mirialia has been eating since she arrived at the halls' gate.

Holding a small plate, she gracefully picked up another slice of apple and ate it.

"Sure, there should be nothing wrong with that. She's just eating." Tauriel thought.

When Mirialia dismissed Calen, she noticed the elleth staring at her and a smile curved on her lips. Tauriel returned the smile and approached her.

"I think all is set and ready." the queen said.

"Yes. Everything has been prepared." Tauriel answered.

The look on her face made the queen a little uncomfortable. "What?" she asked.

"That's the tenth apple you have eaten for today, mellon nin. And it's just past midday." the elf answered.

Mirialia blinked then looked at the plate she was holding. She placed her fingers on her lips for a moment and chuckled lightly. "Oh.. Really? I was so hungry I lost count of it."

"And I thought you prefer oranges and pears."

Mirialia sighed. "I'm starting to like apples lately. I don't know why but I always feel hungry every now and then."

"And you used to eat very little before, am I right?" Tauriel asked.

"Yes. Oh and you know what, I still don't like wine but I also love eating grapes now." the queen nodded.

Suddenly, a thought made Tauriel bit her lower lip.

Could it be?

She held Mirialia's hand and they walked back inside the halls. "I think we should see Lady Amariel. Come."

~~O~~

Meanwhile Amariel, together with Lenneth, were piling up the finest silks that will be used for trade when the two entered.

"Lady Amariel." Tauriel bowed and greeted.

"Tauriel. My queen. Is there a problem?" She smiled at them.

"If you may check the queen, please?" the elf requested.

"Why? Oh, are you sick my dear?" the Elder approached Mirialia.

"I...I really don't know." she said. "I tend to eat a lot lately."

"You what?!" Lenneth pitched out loud, with a smile on her face. "Lady Amariel, check her pulse! Quick!"

Amariel and the queen sat on a cushion and the Elder gently pressed her thumb on her pulse. Everyone was quiet as Amariel listened carefully. Then, flashing a wide smile, she placed her hand on Mirialia's stomach.

"My queen, I want you to listen. Focus on my hand."

Mirialia closed her eyes and listened carefully. First, there was silence. Then she heard her heart beating. But then, she heard another sound, a tiny heartbeat coming from her. She gasped and opened her eyes to look at Amariel, which was smiling. "I hear a small heartbeat."

Lenneth squealed in delight and leaped in joy that startled the young queen. 

Mirialia, though, was still unable to get it.

"I'm sorry but what is happening?" she asked confusingly.

"Mirialia, my dear. You are carrying a child." Amariel announced to her.

Shocked and speechless, Mirialia could not think properly. "I'm...what?"

"Let's go tell the King!" Lenneth excitedly ran out of the room, while Amariel followed her.

~~O~~

Thranduil summoned the council of Dale to discuss the restoring of Ithilien. An agreement has been made that Dale will send supplies for the elves, and some men will be helping as well. While in the middle of the meeting, Amariel stormed in.

"My king, there you are!" the Elder greeted cheerfully. All of the men stood up from their seats and bowed to her.

"You must come with me." she told Thranduil.

"Lady Amariel, as you can see we are having a meeting." the Elvenking glared at her.

"Oh! I can definitely see that," she grabbed Thranduil's arm and tried to drag him with her. "Gentlemen, I have to say this meeting is adjourned--"

"What?" Thranduil said angrily.

"Adjourned." Amariel pointed out the word. "Have your guests spend the night here. Gentlemen, the meeting will continue tomorrow. I already ordered your rooms to be ready. King Thranduil has been summoned by his wife. Rest well."

"My wife?" he asked.

When they exited the room, the men looked at each other and laughed silently.

~~O~~

"You do not have to drag me, Lady Amariel. I can walk. Let go." Thranduil said with a serious tone.

"No I will not." Amariel refused.

"You said my wife summoned me, for what?" he asked.

"You will see."

Once they arrived at the Elder's chamber, Thranduil saw Mirialia with a worried face. "What is it?" he asked softly.

The queen did not even know how to start. Her hands became cold and sweaty, and her heart pounded faster than before.

"Lady Amariel checked on me earlier....and," she choked. "I'm..."

Thranduil waited for her to continue.

"I'm..." Mirialia tried to think of the right words to say.

She swallowed thickly and looked at Amariel who nodded at her.

Her vision started to blur, as her knees fell weak. Mirialia lost her consciousness. Fortunately, Thranduil was quick to catch her fall. 

When Mirialia opened her eyes, she found Thranduil leaning down to her. She has been brought back to their bedroom. Placing a soft kiss on her forehead, Thranduil smiled gently at her.

"The Valar gave you to me as a gift, yet they gave me another one." She felt his hand on her stomach as he kissed her lips.

"I think you should be more careful now that we are having a child." he whispered.

She gasped and tears ran down her face. "How?"

"I can hear it." Thranduil said, tucking a few strands of her hair behind her ear. "You are such a blessing. I am the happiest on Middle-earth. I will take care of you, as I always have been."

Their child has been conceived. A proof that the bond they have was truly unbreakable.

~~O~~

*Thank you for reading!