Hurt And Comfort

~~O~~

Darkness of the night surrounded her when they returned to the Woodland Realm, the soft glow of the moon bidding her welcome. She did not know exactly how long she had been away, but she knew it has been days. Her body felt heavy and tired because of the journey. She found Calen standing at the halls' gate, and greeted him.

"I'm sorry I ran away."

"We understand. I'm glad to see you unharmed." The elf said, with a concerned look. "We all trusted Legolas that he will bring you back."

Her brows furrowed as she watched him. Calen looked at her with worried eyes.

"Is there something...wrong?" She asked.

"Mirialia, we cannot find the king." The elf guard bit his lip. "We have looked everywhere."

"What?"

Panic started seeping into her mind, fear seized her heart. Her hand dropping to her side, she gave the elf standing before her a distressed look.

"No! It cannot be!"

Quickly running down the stairs, she moved through the halls with the purpose of finding the one that was missing. Her feet took her in front of the library; she knocked lightly on the thick wooden door before opening it hesitantly. The room this time, was empty.

Her steps made quiet slapping sounds on the marble floor as she pressed one fist to her chest; her gaze was now sweeping the throne room with intent. She let out a soundless sigh and moved back; still scared at not having found Thranduil. Taking a few more twists and turns, she gave one last look into the courtyard, hoping she could find her ever elusive host. But he was not there either.

"Where is he?"

She shivered and closed her eyes thinking about what Glorfindel had told her.

"Thranduil suffered more than you did, Mirialia." His words froze her from her tracks. "His father was killed in battle; he was slain in front of him. Most of his armies were slain in front of him."

She turned to face the elf. "He killed a lot. He killed so many, he lost count of it. And that made all the pain worse; it was part of the war. It will be a part of him, a dark memory, forever."

"Do you understand now, why he's like that?" Glorfindel added. "He cannot afford to lose anyone, anymore. Especially, the ones he loved most. His kingdom, his people, his kind, his son...you."

Silently, she painstakingly made her way to her chamber, her knees fell weak. While she took a deep breath, she noticed a lone figure sitting in the corner of the room, hidden in the shadows. Heart pounding faster than before, she parted her lips to let out a sound but she held it.

Walking further, she finally saw who it was. The Elvenking sat, asleep on the chair. His chin rested on his fist, part of his hair covered his face, hiding his features from her view.

The young woman kneel before him, unable to support her weight anymore; she took his hand in her own softly. Mirialia turned it over and, with a shaking pale finger, traced each plane of it.

"King...Thranduil."

When she finally looked up, she met his blue eyes, gazing intently at her. The moon shone down on them, casting deep shadows on his handsome face, creating an aura of mystery around him. Holding into the arm of the chair tightly, she forced herself to stand up, pale limbs shaking with the strain. The elf in said chair moved forward to assist her, holding onto her waist delicately and standing up with her.

"I...I...Can I..." She whispered lowly, afraid that he was angry again. Yet he did not reply. She moved closer to him, and let her body slump against his tiredly, pressing her face against his chest and closing her eyes.

Did she just say my name?

Thranduil did not move, save the stiffening of his body, brought on by surprise at the boldness of the young woman curling up against his chest. The elf king tightened his arms around her; he could only watch as she gripped the edges of his robes and breathed out deeply, abandoning herself fully in his embrace. Her eyes started burning and tears fell down her cheeks in small rivulets. He moved his arms to hug her tighter to his body, the folds of his robes covering her, and hiding her from the world. Her shoulders started shaking as she cried silently.

"Is there something you want to tell me?" He whispered.

"Forgive...me...for everything." She uttered between sobs.

She knew his heart belonged to his kingdom, but all she wanted was just a piece of it. Just a piece of his heart.

A little love.

To take away the pain inside.

He dropped a soft kiss at the top of her head, standing with her silently, allowing her to let go, to let it all out, to fall. Her form finally relaxed against his, her tears now down to a few sniffles. She found herself embarrassed and hesitant to look at him, to allow him to see her in such a vulnerable position. He took the choice away from her, cupping her face in his hand and tilting her head back. She kept her eyes closed as he brushed the tears off on her cheeks.

"Look at me."

The words were spoken softly, so low that she barely heard them. Her eyes fluttered open and met his. She swallowed thickly, finding his face to be now so much closer to her own.

"You are asking for forgiveness...for loving me?" He trailed off, giving her a small mysterious smile, the barest tilt of pale lips. "I will not give it."

He leaned forwards, and moved his lips over hers lightly. She gasped in a shaky breath, her eyes becoming shiny with tears once more. Thranduil caught her eyes and leaned forward once again, catching her lips in a tender kiss.

"Do you still want to leave?" He breathed out, his face just inches from her.

She answered by shaking her head slightly. Seeing her response, he smiled at her. A genuine one. He bent down slowly and picked her up. He carried her to the bed, gently settling her down. The young woman bit her lip as he moved the comforter over her; she wondered whether or not to ask for his presence.

"Stay...please?" The Elvenking looked at her for a long moment, his expression inscrutable, and finally nodded.

"I will be here."

He kissed her forehead, brushing her hair away from her face with his hand. Watching as her eyes closed, falling on a deep sleep, he pressed his lips against hers once more before leaning back. With a light touch, he traced the slope of her nose, eyes roaming over her beautiful features. His fingertips tingling at the sensation of her soft skin.

A whisper was heard from the king.

"I love you."

~~O~~

*Thank you for reading!