One Last Chance

~~O~~

Thranduil looked out the window for the umpteenth time during the night. He sat on his bed, surrounded by multiple pillows. But no matter how comfortable he was, sleep would not come. Silently, he stood up carefully and made his way to the healing room. The Elvenking stood beside her bed, watching the sleeping lady with tenderness.

He longed to hold her, be there for her, to show her that she's in security, that everything will be all right.

That it was all over.

While gazing at the sleeping form, Thranduil thought back on their meeting. During that time, he could not figure out why he let her stayed in his kingdom.

Furthermore, she was different. This brought him to his next thought; she was a breath of fresh air. She was the unknown. For the life of him, he had never been confronted by the unknown. And certainly not in such an eye pleasing form.

Beautiful.

He leaned towards her, captured a rope of her hair between his fingers and combed it over her shoulder, smiling gently. A million thoughts raced through his head, blending together to form the sound of rushing water, like a waterfall. He stopped his hand a few centimeters from her face and brushed his fingers lightly on her cheek. Each heartbeat suddenly seemed slow and loud in his ears.

"Thank you." Thranduil whispered. "For healing me."

"So beautiful, yet having already felt too much pain." Soft spoken words were heard behind the door.

He would never hurt her, or let someone else ever again.

"The wounds are still open but...it will heal with time." Elrond told him. "I was worried that you would not be able to find your way."

"Do you still see the future that you showed me?" Thranduil asked, straightening his body.

"Yes." the other replied, truthfully.

Turning around a little, Thranduil smiled slightly at the Lord of Rivendell. Elrond walked up, and stood alongside him. Both elves now watched Mirialia, as she slept peacefully.

"I have to admit," Elrond said. "You surprised me with your light."

A small smile curved on Thranduil's lips upon hearing his friend's compliment.

"Will you still deny your growing affection for her?"

He did feel guilty about using a mild form of manipulation to force her to stay in Woodland Realm. At least in his own observation, no matter how strict he was, it's still just a mild form for him. However, he did feel it was necessary for her to settle things with the people of Rohan in order to avoid further conflict.

Nonetheless, what he had been the most surprised about were the flash of emotions he had seen; a mixture of longing and wariness battling together. This elf-friend easily gained the trust of the people around her.

Maybe he did want what Mirialia had though, that easiness and friendliness that made her loved by his people.

Everyone wants love.

He may not be from Men, but he was no different than anyone else. So far, he has shown little emotions, but mostly strictness and determined energy focused into ruling his kingdom.

But the moment she arrived, everything has changed.

~~O~~

"Her heart is severely wounded." Elrond said.

His small smile started to disappear slowly, "What could be done?" Thranduil asked.

"Healing takes time, my friend." Elrond reminded him. "Just like yours."

Thranduil walked towards a chair placed in a corner of the room and sat down. He then remembered the pain, the hurt, the fear of someone leaving him. The fear of losing someone he loved and never to be seen again.

He only clutches on a hope that all of this, all of the pain, hurt and fear, had to be worth something, had to lead to something better. To think otherwise would mean dying, and Thranduil was not ready to give up yet.

He closed his eyes, and wept.

"I almost lost her." he said, while crying silently.

The Elvenking finally showed his weakness to his old beloved friend. Elrond bent a knee in front of him, and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"But you did not," he said. "And you must not."

"If the Valar gave her a new light, it means she was meant to be here. For you, Thranduil." He added. "You prefer to be alone but sometimes, the burden is too much to bear alone. This is your last chance. They gave you a one last chance."

"If this is what the Valar gave me, then I will accept it." Thranduil said. "I will not let her go. And she will be with me."

"She's fragile. I will be strong for her, as I always have been."

Elrond patted his shoulder, "And we will always be here for you, mellon nin."

Thranduil walked towards her bed, and leaned down to kiss her forehead.

"Rest well, my love."

~~O~~

Thank you for reading!