A Prisoner's Escape

~~O~~

"You've been staying here for ten months." Tauriel answered as they walked together.

"Oh, that long. I was not aware of the time."

"When do you plan to go back to Rohan?" asked the elf.

"I don't think it will be anytime soon." replied the other.

Watching the sun as it sets on the horizon, the rays of light shone gently in Mirialia's eyes.

"Something troubles you." Tauriel said as they stood under their favorite tree; the same tree where she found Mirialia sleeping.

"I'm worried about Malbim. What will happen to him?" she asked.

"There is no decision yet from the king. He will be locked up in his cell as time goes by." the elf answered.

~~O~~

Mirialia padded her way down the staircase leading to the dungeons, she already assumed the guards will block her way again. But this time, when she reached the entrance, they were just standing on both sides. She stood in the middle of them and glanced at the two. One of them steped forward and spoke. "The King is allowing you to visit the prisoner, my lady. Go ahead."

Hearing his words, Mirialia could not help but smile.

"Thank you."

She hurried to the captain's prison cell, and found him sitting on the ground. His face down and eyes closed.

"Malbim." she called him.

Malbim's face brighten up when he saw her. "My lady."

Mirialia sat on the staircase near his cell and held his hand. "How are you?"

"I will be alright."

"The King allowed me to visit you...I'm sorry about Maldek and his men."

"No. It's not your fault. His recklessness led him to his death."

"Everything that happened, it's all because of me."

He smirked. "You startled everyone in the ship. You were the first one to disobey him. You deserve to be away from him."

~~O~~

Mirialia forced a smile as she remembered everyone in the ship. She recalled how Mari and Malbim were brought to Belus when they were young.

Their village was attacked, and they were taken to the ship to be slaves. Their task was to follow all Gideon's orders without question. When Malbim failed to do a task, he was being punished by either Maldek or Gideon himself.

"You deserve to be free too. Gideon will think that you might be dead." She stood up. "I will try to talk to the Elvenking, and ask him to let you go."

"You don't need to, my lady." Malbim said.

"I want to. I must go." she bade him farewell.

~~O~~

Heading to the throne room, she met Legolas along the way. The prince told her that his father was in the courtyard, so Mirialia went there instead.

There, she saw Thranduil, wearing his beautiful robe made of silver, grey and black brocade. He does not wear any crown, but seeing him standing and holding a small cup of wine, and wearing that robe in particular made Mirialia think that he looked ten feet tall. She was about to speak when she heard his voice.

"What brings you to my courtyard?" Thranduil asked, swiveling his body to face her.

"My lord." Mirialia paused. "Malbim has been in your dungeons for months."

"Were you not informed that I am now allowing you to visit him?" he said.

"I was informed. But if I may request, will you please let him go?" she pleaded.

"I do not recall saying that." the Elvenking answered with bitterness in his words.

"My lord, he is a good man." she defended him.

"He is a corsair, there is no good in them." Thranduil noted sharply. "I do not care if he rot in my prison."

Mirialia frowned at his response, so she bowed and left. Heading back to her chamber, she felt a mixture of guilt, frustration and anger. Guilt; Malbim was imprisoned because of her. Frustration, because she could not do anything for him. Anger, because the Elvenking has no plan of letting him go.

"I must do something." she whispered while pacing back and forth.

"Mirialia." Tauriel called her. "There will be a feast tonight. You can join us."

"Sure." was her only answer.

When the elf left the room, Mirialia thought of her last option.

I know it's wrong, but I'll do it. Face the consequences later.

~~O~~

It was a great merrymaking at the Elvenking's halls that night. Mirialia silently walked out of the dining halls and headed to the stable where she approached Gilroch.

"I will need your help, Gilroch. Get yourself ready." she whispered.

Two hours past midnight, she saw the elves still drinking together with Thranduil, while some already returned to their homes. She went down to the wine cellar only to find the keeper of the keys already sleeping. The keys to the dungeon cells were left at the table, together with a few bottles of wine. She walked quietly and carefully. Finally, she was able to get the keys without waking up the keeper. She ran all the way to the dungeon, no guards were on sight.

"Malbim." she called him in a low voice.

"My lady." Malbim stood near the door.

Mirialia brought out the key and unlocked the door of his cell. "Get out."

"What are you doing?" Malbim asked.

"I'm setting you free. Follow me." she whispered.

The two found a tunnel leading them to the forest. Mirialia flashed a wide smile when she saw Gilroch waiting for them.

"Thank you, Gilroch. Thank you so much."

~~O~~

It was near dawn when they both mounted on Gilroch.

"There is a secret pass that will lead us outside of Northern Greenwood. Go, Gilroch." she commanded.

"My lady, the Elvenking will get mad at us-" Malbim said.

"I know he will get mad. But I would rather choose to let you escape and face his anger than to see you suffer in that cell for the rest of your life." Mirialia replied.

As they took the secret pass , two elf guards saw them.

"The prisoner!" the guard shouted.

"And... Lady Mirialia?" the other one said.

~~O~~

Thank you for reading!