39| blood brother

for avidbookworm09 ❤

for avidbookworm09

| Chapter 39 |

blood brother |

When Westlake dropped off Nick at the driveway of the O'Connell house, he was still reeling from the aftermath of the conversation.

There was this lightheadedness he didn't know he was capable of feeling, this elevated feeling in his chest, starting off like a pin's prick and then just...blooming.

The door swung open to reveal Dale's stressed out face, his expression instantly clearing into one of ginormous relief.

"Dude, I tried to stay till they were done taking your statement, but..." Dale's voice trailed off, taking in Nick's still stunned state. "What's with you?"

Nick ran Westlake's words over again in his head, again and again, naturally trying to find some point of weakness, something that wouldn't work out... But no matter what he tried to do, his entire being was alight with this newfound hope.

Nick wished he could turn off his pessimistic mentality right now -- he didn't want to be picking apart what he'd just learnt only to look for loopholes in the plan. Instead, he wanted to let this feeling inside -- completely. He was feeling lighter than he had in a long, long time. That heaviness which made his bones weigh a little too heavy and made every little task take more effort than normal was just not there. And Nick liked the fact that it was not there, weighing him down.

It made him feel free and the realisation only reminded him that he was, in fact, going to eventually be free.

He didn't know when, of course, but he couldn't bring himself to mope about that. His freedom had always been a topic of uncertainty -- but now that it was something definite, and actually in the process of being achieved, Nick felt like he could do all the waiting he needed to do.

He was going to be free. No shackles. No chains.

Nick grinned wide and carefree for the first time in forever, clearly startling Dale, but not quite caring with all the sudden rush of exhilaration.

"Why are you grinning..." His voice died and pure shock morphed into his features as Nick crossed the threshold of Eileen's house and pulled Dale into an embrace.

Dale seemed to have frozen under Nick's arms, obviously too flabbergasted to react, but Nick didn't care, couldn't care. He couldn't care for anything other than this rush of emotion gushing through his veins, pumping more life into his system than the blood ever had.

"This is very uncomfortable for me, I hope you know that," Dale said in what sounded like an offended tone.

Nick simply grinned harder and gave Dale's shoulders one last squeeze. "Please," he scoffed, pulling away, "you love me."