11| all hell breaks loose

for parselmouth123 ❤

for parselmouth123

|Chapter 11|

| all hell breaks loose |

BREE couldn't concentrate on her Expository Writing class.

Chase's words seemed to repeat themselves in her head like a loop; there was just no end.

"Watch your step, Bree... Watch your step..."

She shook her head firmly, as if that would help shrugging the worry off. But those cold, emotionless eyes kept popping in her head and she couldn't help but think of Mel's current state.

Did Chase ever terrify her before he delivered his final blow? Did he make those slow taunts until she'd worried herself to the point of insanity? God, she must have been so scared. And felt so alone.

Bree's heart broke a little more for Melody.

Bree was worried, but she wasn't scared. Then again, she had always been able to face anything upfront. She'd always had courage. It wasn't the same for everyone else, though.

Besides, Bree had Claire. And her mum -- without whom she wouldn't be half the brave person she was today.

Who did Mel have?

And without even realising or being aware of if happening, Bree's worry had melted away and given in to concern for her friend, once again putting someone else before herself.

"Hey," Claire whispered, this being the only class the two of them shared, what with the two of them following completely different courses. She started leaning towards Bree, "you alright?"

Bree looked at her and nodded, offering her a reassuring smile. "Just had a run-in with Chase earlier," she replied quietly. Claire's eyes widened, a mixture of horror, confusion, and concern dawning on her face.

She began shaking her head frantically. "No, Bree," she whispered, urgency in her tone. "That's not alright!"

Bree closed her eyes briefly and opened them, reassuring her best-friend yet again. Then, lifting her hand, Bree motioned with  her index finger that they'd talk later, fully knowing Claire didn't want to wait.

As soon as the lecture was over and they stepped into the hallway, Claire's fingers latched onto Bree's arm and she was dragged away from being swept up in the stream of students, to the bleachers outside.

"Since when have you been running into that dog?" Claire demanded before Bree could even seat herself.

"It's really just happened a few times," Bree answered, in that ever-so-calm tone of hers. She was the one who needed to keep her cool and her head together here. Claire didn't seem like she could compose herself.