23| bitter truths

thank you jenavieve9 for always being there with the encouragement and support :')

| Chapter 23 |

bitter truths |

BREE threw her towel across her room, watching with tired eyes as it landed messily on her study chair, a yawn escaping her mouth.

Saturday night shifts at the Quake always drained her down to her soul, there was no denying that. But there was also something about the familiar sound of the door chime, the smell of melted cheese and slightly burnt sauce along with the constant chatter that hung in the air of the diner, that seemed to be worth all the exhaustion to Bree.

There was a soft knock on the door, and Bree stopped pulling the sheets on her bed back, dropping the soft material from her grip and turning towards the entrance of her room instead. "Yeah?"

The door opened with a slow groan, reminding Bree she needed to do something about it and stop putting it off.

"Hey, sweetheart," her mum smiled softly, "you about to call it a night?"

Bree smiled and shook her head, hoping that her eyes didn't betray how sleepy and tired she truly felt. "Nope, not at all," she placed herself on the bed, moving back till she could lean on the headrest, "what's up, mum?"

Her mum pressed her lips together for a brief second, before releasing them and offering a tiny smile, crossing the threshold and stepping into Bree's room entirely.

"Nothing much," she shrugged, "how's college?"

Bree's mind flashed with the image of Chase and Mel. Of Claire looking worried and begging her to be safe. "It's okay for now," she said, feeling her stomach tie into a knot. "The syllabus isn't too bad, but then again these are just the foundations. Once second year starts and we need to choose specific fields to major in, it's probably going to be tough."

"You can do it," her mum told her, "you underestimate how smart you are, Bree. You always have."

Bree grew silent for a while, wondering if it would be too much of a burden for her mother to hear about Chase. Besides, were Bree's worries even valid? Wasn't her fear stupid? What could Chase do to her, really? She was always going to make sure she wasn't in close proximity with him in an isolated area. She would always take the necessary precautions. So, logically speaking, Chase couldn't do anything to her. He probably just enjoyed the taunts and the terrorising, and couldn't digest the fact that Bree didn't scare easily.