Dead End: Part One

One Thousand Miles

Chapter  |  Dead End

Part  |  One

The same day Travis, Cameron, and I went on the picnic, I had locked myself in my bedroom as soon as Travis dropped us off. My grandmother tried getting Travis to get me to come out, but then they would ask what was going on, and I wasn't prepared to tell them just yet. Plus, what would I tell them? I saw a guy that looked a lot like John, but wasn't? I mean from afar he looked like John, but if you stood in front of him like I did then you would be able to see the difference between the two.

For the next few days, I never saw the John look alike, but I was still cautious because if it wasn't obvious already, that man was hired to find me.

By the time August came, I wasn't as cautious. I mean I kind of figured if John knew where I was he would have made a move by now. Wouldn't he?

I sighed and shook my head before taking a step away from the full length mirror. I sigh before slowly running my hands over the form fitting knee-length dress I decided to wear to church that morning. I smile at myself in the mirror before turning around and smiling down at Cameron who sat on blanket playing with little stuffed toys. I walked over to sit and got down on my knees before lifting him up from underneath his arms. 

"Hey little guy, do you like mommy's dress? Mommy likes your suit, you're mommy's little handsome baby boy," I say as I press a wet kiss on his cheek. He whimpers and I laugh against his cheek before pulling away.

"Knock, knock," I hear a voice say the same time I hear someone knock on the door. I turn around and my eyes meet Travis' before they go down to his lips. He smirks and takes a step into the room before stopping next to me. He holds his hand out for me, which I take once I sit Cameron back down gently. He pulls me off the floor and before I can say anything he pulls me closer and placing his hands on my hips before placing his lips over my own.

My eyes are wide for a second before finally I give in and kiss him back. The kiss is slow and lasts until we're both breathless. I feel slightly light headed and I would be lying if I said I wasn't hot or bothered. I wipe my lips with the back of hand and blink, "What was that for?"

He chuckles lightly and smiles. "I don't know. 'Cause you look very beautiful in this dress."

I smile at the sound of his southern accent before looking down at Cameron playing with his toys. Travis pulls away from me and bends down to pick up Cameron. Travis tosses Cameron up and down a few times before the sound of someone knocking on the door again rang through my ears. We both turned around and saw my grandmother standing in the door.

"Are we ready?" she asks.

Travis and I both nod before following my grandmother out of the room and down the stairs. I wasn't very nervous about leaving the house anymore, but I was still cautious about it.

And I felt like today was one of those days I had to be very cautious.

I had the biggest smile on my face as we all exited the church and headed toward my grandmother's truck. I couldn't remember the last time I had gone to church. While John and I were married and the abuse was going on, John and I never went to church. He never liked me leaving the house and even though he would be there with me, he still had trust issues when it came to me being outside of the house.

My grandmother and Travis were talking to a few people who attended the church while I just awkwardly stood there and listened. Normally, I would talk to the people at my old church home back in New York, but since my grandmother and Travis have been going to this church for a while, I kind of felt out of place.

I moved Cameron over to my other hip and smiled down at his happy self before looking back up at the people just standing around talking. My eyes wandered around slowly until they landed on an elderly couple holding hands and speaking to another elderly couple. I smiled at them before letting my eyes wander off to somewhere else. A figure leaning up against a silver Bentley caught my attention...

My whole body froze and my eyes widened.

John.

Next thing I knew, my mouth was wide open and I felt Cameron being pulled out of my arms. I was falling to the ground and I was awaiting the impact, but it never came because someone was there to catch me. I was still screaming, but now I could feel tears falling from my eyes.

"Stephanie! Stephanie, it's me, Travis," he cooed.

My screaming and crying started to slowly quiet down, but my heart was still pounding in my chest. I slowly opened my eyes and looked around frantically for one familiar face. When my eyes landed on where I saw him, the car and he were no longer there...

---

Okay so this isn't one of my favorite chapters, but its something. I think there are 5 chapters left????? Well once this is over I'm going to enter it into the Watty's and start frequently updating Good At Being Bad, which I would love if you checked out! :D