Growth: Part Two

One Thousand Miles

Chapter  |  Growth

Part  |  Two

It had only been two weeks since I had arrived here and I was already starting to feel a little homesick. I missed waking up to the smell of my father's delicious chocolate chip pancakes he would make for my three other siblings and I for breakfast. As much as I would like to say I hated sharing a room with my younger sister Ally, I can't because I actually do miss sharing a room with her. Even though she was a complete slob and could never keep the room clean, I still missed waking up and seeing her.

I also missed taking my younger sister Katie on walks through the park every Saturday morning after breakfast. I loved my sister to death even though she didn't act like any other four year old around. She wasn't the type to get hyper off of sugar, and nor was she the type who liked to sit around and watch SpongeBob all day. For entertainment, she'd read a book or watch the history channel.

As for my older brother Ethan, he was the complete opposite of Katie. You'd least expect a twenty-three year old man to still be living in his parents' house and watching cartoons on the weekends. Then again, I was the one who made him get up early just to get him to watch them with me. Anyways, he is currently unemployed and has about five booty calls on speed dial.

My family couldn't get any normal.

I have always been the quiet, but lively one out of the four of us. I was different from Ethan, Ally, and Katie. Ethan was more of an unstable kind of person, while Ally was the one who followed her own rules and showed confidence everywhere she went, and Katie was brainier. I have always been the one with her eyes on the prize, the one with the goals and achievements, the one who has no confidence whatsoever, but is very determined. Personality wise we were different, but we all shared the same blonde hair color, dark blue eyes, and coffee colored skin.

As I sat in the window sill studying my notes, I heard the sound of the door slamming shut indicating that my roommate Tanya was back from her date with her on again off again boyfriend, Tyler.

I shut my book and threw it on my bed just as she stepped inside the room with a frown on her face. Once she noticed the smug look on my face her frown deepened. "What?"

I just chuckled before standing up and flopping onto my bed. I rest my head on my fists and shot her an innocent smile. "Oh nothing, just wondering how your date went considering the fact that you was only gone for..." I lift up my sleeve and look down at my purple and white watch for the time. "Thirty minutes. What happened?"

She breathed out through her nose before slipping off her rain coat and hanging it up in our closet. She sat down at the end of my bed and laid her joined hands in her lap. "Well once I arrived there I found him talking to Bianca, again, and I just went off. He told me that he was done with her and wanted nothing to do with her, but I guess he had been lying to me....again."

I pouted my lip before sitting up and sitting down next to her at the end of the bed. I pulled one of her hands out of her lap and kissed her knuckles before laying my head down on her shoulder. "Oh Tanya, I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. So are you two broken up?" I ask even though I already knew the answer. She nodded. "Well he's a fool, a fool who is blind and putting something to waste. I mean, who wouldn't want to be with someone as smart and beautiful as you?"

Tanya really was a beautiful girl. Her light skin tone went well with her eyes and everything she wore. She had a great sense of style and was very outgoing. I was glad to have her as my roommate.

"Well that's nice to hear, especially coming from a girl who hasn't had one boyfriend." I groaned and she just laughed at my embarrassment. It was true. All my life I had never had a boyfriend. My father used to always tell me I wasn't allowed to date until I got myself my own house, and my brother wouldn't even let a boy come within five feet of me.

I blushed and looked down at my hands that were now sitting in my lap. "Shut up."

She shook her head in amusement before standing up and reaching her hand out for me to take. "Come on; let's go get a cup of coffee from Starbucks."

She had me at Starbucks.

"Sure. I need a cup of coffee after all of the studying I have been doing this past week." I grab my red jacket and slip it on before shoving my feet into a pair of, what used to be, white Nikes. After grabbing my key from the table next to my bed we headed out the door.