Nightmare In Paradise: Part One

One Thousand Miles

Chapter  |  Nightmare In Paradise

Part  |  One

The night after John hit me he hadn't attempted to do it again. He actually apologized and held me in his arms as I cried into his shoulder. Afterward he promised me he would make it up to me with a vacation to Puerto Rico. Apparently he had been planning the trip for a long while, but he said that we'd have to wait until April came since he was busy with work and plus we couldn't just up and leave Cameron when he was only three weeks old.

When April finally did come around I couldn't be happier. I was finally getting a break from the baby and I was finally getting out of the house. I loved Cameron with all my heart, but with John's work schedule I never seemed to get a break. When John arrived home it was normally around six, so we'd eat dinner then he'd lock himself in his office to finish up some work. By the time he was done with that it was nine and I normally didn't put Cameron to bed until nine-thirty. This gave John only thirty minutes to really take care of his son before it was time to put him in his bassinet. I hated our schedule and so did John, but that's just how things are.

"Come on Stephanie!" John called from downstairs.

"Coming!" I call back from upstairs. I was finishing up my hair, which I tied into a braid that laid on my shoulder. I clipped a fake peach colored flower in my hair and smiled down at myself before looking back up in the mirror. I felt beautiful wearing my strapless peach colored dress that went down to the floor. I was sure that John would love it. It was a gift from Alexandria.

As I skipped down the steps and into the kitchen through the dining room, the sound of Cameron's cries filled my heart up with sadness. I skipped over to where John stood cradling Cameron in his arms shushing him. He cries stopped after a while which caused my heart to fill with happiness. 

"Sorry I took so long. Do you like it?" I ask as I look from John to Alexandria then to John's father, Michael.

John just looked at me with a look that I didn't know the meaning of, Alexandria squealed with excitement and Michael said I looked stunning.

"Oh sweetheart you look beautiful. I knew when I saw this dress in the shops that it was for you. Jonathan sweetie, doesn't she look beautiful?" Alexandria asked as she stood behind me with her hands on my shoulders. She had the biggest smile on her face which put a bigger one on mine.

John continued to look at me with the same look on his face before finally he said, "Yes mom she looks like a goddess. That dress will most definitely get heads to turn."

Alexandria continued to squeal and compliment how I looked in the dress while John handed Cameron to his father and continued to give me that same look. I just gave him a small smile, but that didn't seem to change his expression. After fifteen minutes of just sitting there speaking about the trip, it was time to leave to the airport. I almost tear up when I kissed Cameron's soft forehead, but I held them back since I knew I'd see him in a week.

I talk John's ear off about how excited I am about the trip as we walk outside to the limousine waiting for us. John tells me to get in and I happily climb in with a huge grin on my face. Once John climbs inside the car holding one of my suitcases my smile drops and a confused look forms on my face.

"Why did you bring my suitcase in here? Why isn't it in the truck with yours?" I ask as I feel movement from underneath me. I watch as John unzips it and rummages through it. I continue to watch until finally he pulls out a long brown skirt that went down to my feet and light purple fitted V-neck.