Double Take: Part Two

One Thousand Miles

Chapter  |  Double Take

Part  |  Two

Another month had passed and things seemed to be going good. At first I could barely even get through my day without thinking about John and what he put me through. Then something as simple as hearing Cameron's laugh or Travis' voice always brought me back to reality and put a smile on my face. Travis, Cameron, and grandma were the only people who made me feel happy these days, but it was better than nobody at all.

It was a nice warm Saturday and Travis and I already had plans for the day. We would take Cameron on a walk in the park before sitting down and having a picnic. They day seemed like it would be a great one.

Right now I was waiting for Travis to come pick me and Cameron up from my grandmother's. As we waited, I lightly bounced Cameron up and down in my arms making him giggle. I'd laugh with him before brushing my hand through his blonde hair.

Not even a few minutes later, there was a knock on the door and we instantly knew it was Travis. I was the one to open the door and find Travis with a huge smile on his and face and a single pink rose in his hand. I grinned back at him and took in his appearance. He was wearing a light blue button down with blue jeans and converse. After looking him up and down, I look down at myself and smile. I seemed dressed for the occasion. A knee length dress with a flower design and jean jacket with black flats.

"Hey, you look gorgeous as usual," Travis says as he takes a step into the house. He reaches the rose out toward me and blushes. "For you."

I smile up at him and all his shyness before taking the rose gently from his hand. "Thank you and you don't look so bad yourself."

He smiles wider before his eyes shift over to Cameron cradled in my arms. Quickly he reaches forward and takes Cameron from my arms and throws him up in the air making him giggle. "Hi little guy! How have you been? You been a good boy for your mommy? I hope you haven't been keeping her up all night, you know she needs her beauty rest."

I laugh and he winks over at my just as my grandmother comes and stands next to us. "I can't remember a day he hasn't awaken us this whole week."

Travis and I both laugh before we go back to the reason why Travis was here in the first place. He clears his throat and nods his head in the direction of the door. "You ready to go?"

I nod my head. "As ready as ever."

He grins and opens the door before letting me walk out first. I say goodbye to my grandmother as I'm walking out and taking a stand next to the car. I wait for Travis to strap Cameron into the car seat in the backseat of his truck before he opens my door for me. I thank him and climb inside before turning in my seat and staring at my son. I smile as I watch his curious eyes wander around the truck.

When Travis climbs into the driver seat, I turn around in my seat and lean back. This was going to be a relaxing fun day, and I was determined to make the most out of it.

As soon as we had arrived at the park, we took Cameron's brand new stroller out the back of the trunk before placing Cameron inside of it and slowly maneuvering down the sidewalk. We laughed and smiled through the whole walk before coming to a stop. We unfolded a blanket we had stuffed into the back of Cameron's stroller before placing it down on the grass.  I sat down on one end of the blanket while Travis sat on the other end with Cameron in his lap. We were laughing and throwing our food back and forth while we tried getting Cameron to keep standing.

"You know, I don't think he'll be walking for another few months," I said after Cameron fell onto the blanket once again.

Travis laughed. "Yeah I don't think so either."

I laugh along with him and stare him in the eyes. "Yeah, well when the time does come I think I want you to be the one to help him out."

He looks back at me shocked. "Really, you mean that Steph?"

I open my mouth to respond, but something, or should I say somebody, behind Travis catches my attention. I gasp and feel all the color in my face drain. I couldn't move and it felt like my throat was slowly closing up. In the distance, a man was leaning up against a tree with a smirk on his face. But this man wasn't just any man, no, he was Jonathan Schmidt.

I blink a couple of times, but the man is still there. I jump and let out a small scream when I suddenly feel a light tap on my shoulder. I look to my left and my eyes find Travis'. 

"Stephanie, what's wrong? Are you okay?" he asks.

I turn away from him and let my eyes shift over to John who was now walking across the street and down the sidewalk. Quickly I stand up from the blanket and run in the direction he was going in. I hear Travis calling my name, but I don't look back. I kept my eyes on John, and watch as he rounds a corner out of my eyesight. I push myself to run faster and slow down to round the same corner. I almost bump into a couple holding hands before quickly apologizing to them and keep moving. I catch John just as he enters a shop just a few feet away. I speed walk down to the shop and burst through the doors before stomping over to John who now stood in line. I tap his shoulder and slowly he turns around.

I gasp and take a step back. The person staring back at me wasn't John, but he sure did look just like him. But it was a him; I swear I saw John...

"Can I help you?" the man asks with a blank expression.

I open my mouth to speak, but no words leave my mouth. I still couldn't believe that this guy wasn't even who I thought he was. Now I feel like an idiot for chasing after an innocent man who had no idea who I was. I shake my head and laugh humorlessly. "Sorry I just...you just remind me of someone I know..."

His expression doesn't change and he doesn't say anything. He thinks I'm crazy.

"Stephanie! Oh thank God I found you," I heard Travis' voice say from behind me. I turn around and face him just as he stops Cameron's stroller right in front of me. I look down at Cameron sitting in the stroller before looking up at Travis. "Don't run off like that, Steph. You had me worried."

I sigh and place my hands on both sides of my head. I sigh. "Sorry I just thought...I just...never mind it was nothing important."

He looks at my with a disbelieving look. "Are you sure it was nothing because it sure didn't seem like nothing?"

I nod my head and take a step forward before wrapping him in my arms. He hugs me back before we both let go before he turns the stroller around and takes my hand in his. We slowly head toward the exit of the shop, but I can't help but turn around and look back at the John alike. He was looking back at me too. He was looking back at me too. I frowned and he just smiled before winking and turned back around in line. My eyes widen and that's when I knew for sure that this John look alike was no coincidence...

---

Sorry I took so long to update! I've been busy with school. I swear I have a project like every week. (T I know for a fact you're going to agree with me.)

ANYWHO! I am sad to say that there are only SIX CHAPTERS LEFT! But lets make the most of them right? Let me just tell you, you might not like what's about to happen. *Insert evil laugh*