It's a Date: Part One

One Thousand Miles

Chapter  |  It's a Date

Part  |  One

As Tanya and I entered the Starbucks, a few eyes turned to us before their attention went back to what they were doing. Tanya offered to buy drinks, but I only shook my head. I didn't want her paying, especially since she just got out of a relationship just thirty minutes earlier.

"No it's okay, I'll pay. Just because Tyler and I are broken up doesn't mean I can't pay for coffee with a friend," Tanya says as she takes a step in the direction of the cash register.

I grab her arm to stop her. "No Tanya, I insist. Don't worry, I'll let you pay next time," I say as I begin walking in the direction of the cash register, throwing a wink over my shoulder. I heard her mumble something about being stubborn, but I knew that she meant it jokingly.

As I approach the cashier who is currently counting the change in the register, I look him up and down. He had beautiful coffee colored skin, black hair, and I couldn't make out the color of his eyes by the way his head was tilted. After a few seconds of standing there, he puts all of the change back inside the cash register before looking up at me. As soon as his eyes landed on me, I noticed something flash in them, but I couldn't make out what it was. He cleared his throat before sending a lopsided grin my way. "Hello...um...my name is John, how can I help you?"

I sucked in my lips to keep the hugest smirk off my face. This boy has only just met me and is already head over heels. Well head over sneakers because he's a boy....and boys don't wear heels...but girls---

"I believe it's supposed to be, how may I help you?" I say, arching my eyebrow. He just stares at me for a couple of seconds before finally he blinks and lets out a quiet chuckle. I could listen to that all day, but unfortunately I had to get back to studying in about an hour or so.

"Um, you're right, my bad. So......my name is John."

I giggled before moving a stray hair out of my eyes. John must be the kind of person that could make anybody laugh even if they had a disease where they couldn't laugh. He obviously had a great personality in my eyes, and appearance. I could now tell what color his eyes were now that we were looking into each other's eyes. His were the same color as mine; blue, but his are just a tad bit lighter.

"You know, you already said that."

His eyes widen for a fraction of a second. "I did, didn't I?"

I let out another giggle and nod my head. "The name is Stephanie."

Finally after five more minutes of us just talking, I tell him my order. As I stand there waiting for Tanya and I's drinks, I quickly look around for Tanya who is sitting at a booth next to the window texting somebody on her cellphone. It was probably Tyler which really isn't a surprise to me. Those two have managed to break up, and get back together three times since I arrived here.

"Here you go, sorry we took so long with your order. I wanted them to make sure it came out just right, for you," John says, with a huge grin on his face as he sits the drinks down on the counter. I gave him a quick thank you before picking up both of our cups and frowning.

"Is something wrong, Steph?"

Steph, it sounded so bland and boring coming out of somebody like my dad or mom's mouth, but his, not at all. It sounded right.

"No nothing's wrong, it's just that you wrote Stephy on my cup instead of just my whole name..." I say softly, before looking down just as I feel the blood rushing to my cheeks. There in messy, but not messy enough for me to not be able to read, handwriting was the word Stephy written most likely by a black sharpie marker.